Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Overdue ewe .. When to worry ??  (Read 11853 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Overdue ewe .. When to worry ??
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 03:13:25 pm »
Yes Calciject is what I would have done, often advised for protracted kiddings.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 03:48:48 pm »
Thank you for your advise and yes I just wasn't sure what the actual problem was with her and whether it was ringwomb. when I checked her it was literally a fingernail length insert and the hooves could be felt but there was no dilation so I could literally only poke a finger but she was still contracting and trying to push the lamb out until she got to the point she got tired and kind of gave up !
But yes both ewe and lamb are up and around, the lamb is well and suckling :)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 07:12:19 pm »
My Vet said that the surge of calcium for milk production sometimes causes a depletion and it is also needed for muscles, in this case the cervix. Hence why it was advised.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 07:25:59 pm »
Thank you for that and yes it makes sense for this ewe, she has a lot of milk, surprising amount for a single so I can see how that would reduce the calcium levels hence the weak contractions and lack of dilation. At least I know how to improve next time !!
Just checked the lamb and he's bigger than some of the 2 week old ones, I'm just glad he's live, well, sucking and warm - the ewe is also up, eating and quite happy with him suckling :)

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 07:36:49 pm »
Not being fully dilated can certainly be a sign of hypocalcaemia and a dose of calciject will definitely cause no harm, and can fix it if required. Technically it's not a true ringwomb as this means the cervix cannot be dilated with manual pressure, but a relative ringwomb as the muscles haven't relaxed properly. It can be due to dead lambs, lambs not positioning properly to stimulate the cervix to open, and a frequently forgotten problem is low calcium.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS