Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat mix for sheep?  (Read 1831 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Goat mix for sheep?
« on: April 09, 2018, 04:03:39 pm »
Im running out of sheep mix so picked up a bag of goat mix as en emergency, ingredients are pretty much the same except the goat has 8.7mg/kg copper, I know sheep can't have too much copper but could I use this if nothing else?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Goat mix for sheep?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 05:21:46 pm »
The maximum inclusion for sheep is 15 mg/kg I think, so unless you have copper sensitive breeds you should be okay.
Sugar beet nuts are an excellent alternative in an emergency, and they are 7mg/kg copper.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 06:09:12 pm »
I wouldn't because of the extra copper. If the feed shop is out of Ewe nuts I feed sugar beet or sometimes and all stock mix

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 07:20:34 pm »
We're now feeding grass pellets, stocked by most pet and horse places as well as agri merchants.  The Dengie one is meadow grass, nothing added, non-GM, 16% protein.

Or you could mix that with the goat mix and so dilute the copper ;)

Copper-sensitive breeds include North Ronaldsay (highly sensitive, even a little can kill a copper-naive sheep) and Texels.  I've never been sure whether it's just that Texels are really good at managing on very low copper, or are actually likely to die from over-exposure.  But even if it's the latter, I believe it's a cumulative effect, so they're unlikely to have their livers explode if they're fed goat mix for a few days.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 08:22:19 pm »
Thank you everyone, I've got enough sheep mix for the morning and I'm going to take the goat feed back, just means a drive to a different store in the morning, I have a bot of sugar beet left so I've soaked that to bulk out what I have left! Love this site and all the knowledge thank you.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 07:05:04 am »
Just a note ..... sugar beet doesn't need to be soaked to be fed to sheep.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 08:08:39 am »
I just like to soak it to bulk out the amount of sheep mix I have left.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS