Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ear tags  (Read 1567 times)

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
ear tags
« on: August 01, 2012, 11:16:50 pm »
we have just bought our first 8 lleyn shearling ewes and ram. they have all settled in well and already come running across the field to greet us every time they see us! just one question regarding ear tags, they all have the standard electronic tag and kill tag one in each ear but these have an extra white tag in their left ear with a number on? is this just for the breeders use to identify each sheep? i noticed he used these Numbers when identifying them?  if so when we have lambs would we start from 00001? am i correct or completely confused?  :-\

Re: ear tags
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 11:20:40 pm »
The extra tags are management tags

when you have lambs and order your own tags, Your Flockmark, CPH number and address will be checked against the DEFRA database and the next sequential numbers issued. If you have not ordered tags before then these will start at 000001.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

contraflow

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 06:44:18 pm »
 Whilst circulating our own survey into the serious welfare effects of ear tagging sheep and goats not intended for the food chain, I have come across a government consultation on alternative means of identifying sheep and goats, which will be of interest to anyone who has experienced the horrific injuries and suffering that can be caused by ear tagging. Since ear tagging was introduced it has been seen to be unnecessary mutilation by keepers of animals such as rare breed sheep, Pygmy goats and diary animals.
No one I have spoken to has been informed of the consultation which closes on the 20th[/size]September 2013, Please show your support by visiting the links below and help circulate this information amongst like minded people. It may well be possible to change the way we identify our pets and livestock and end the unnecessary discomfort tags have caused but not without supporters.
[/size]please use the links below to access the governments consultation information and survey and our own survey into the welfare implications of ear tagging which will provide evidence to support a change in identification regulations.
Best Wishes
Juilie Westlake
1)
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/sheep-goats-and-deer-electronic-movement-reporting-and-identification
2)
www.tagsinsmallears.co.uk

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 07:46:40 pm »
when you say your own survey  which survey is that?

Nice find on the gov survey:-)
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS