Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Miniature South Downs - "Babaydolls"  (Read 4768 times)

JamesTrethowan

• Joined Aug 2013
Miniature South Downs - "Babaydolls"
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:51:53 am »
I am looking for a breeder local (ish) to Cornwall of Miniature South Downs or Babydoll sheep.

Can anyone help?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Miniature South Downs - "Babaydolls"
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 12:20:57 pm »
See the Society website - southdownsheepsociety.co.uk - for information on this so-called "breed" which is not recognised in the UK.  Breeders in the US have in and in bred the "tiddlers" to give what they refer to as the Babydoll Southdown.  We have 3 Southdown ewe lambs booked into the Society sale at Worcester Livestock Market on 7th September. These will, however, reach full Southdown size.  If you want a docile, easy to handle sheep with short legs and superb wool and meat then get a Southdown.  If you want a tiny sheep how about a Soay or Ouessant?

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 12:54:08 pm »
I really wish this phase of creating miniature animals in every breed would stop. Teacup Yorkies, miniature pigs -t he list goes on unfortunately.   However, I did notice this ad on Farmings Ads the other day which might be of interest - www.babydollsouthdownsheep.co.uk.   Like the so called miniature pigs do make sure that you are actually getting what you are paying over the odds for though, and in the case of these babydoll Southdowns, do not just end up with one that is just normal breed standard  :innocent: :-J

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 01:20:24 pm »
If I wanted a miniature pig I would buy a guinea pig :-DDD

If I wanted a miniature sheep I would get ouessants i think, as they are longstanding stable breed.

But hope you find what you want OP.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 01:52:49 pm »
I confirm the Ouessant is not a miniaturised breed but a hardy native of the north west coast of Brittany. as with many primitive breeds of sheep they are small and relatively fine compared to many more commercial breeds. Originally bred as a dual purpose breed for both meat ( pré salé meat was and is highly sought after) and wool mainly their characteristic fading black fleeces.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 12:03:23 pm by kanisha »
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 02:18:30 pm »
See the Society website - southdownsheepsociety.co.uk - for information on this so-called "breed" which is not recognised in the UK.  Breeders in the US have in and in bred the "tiddlers" to give what they refer to as the Babydoll Southdown.  We have 3 Southdown ewe lambs booked into the Society sale at Worcester Livestock Market on 7th September. These will, however, reach full Southdown size.  If you want a docile, easy to handle sheep with short legs and superb wool and meat then get a Southdown.  If you want a tiny sheep how about a Soay or Ouessant?
What breeding are your Southdowns?
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 02:19:37 pm »
I confirm the Ouessant is not a miniaturised breed but a hardy native of the north west coast of Brittany. as with many primitive breeds of sheep they are small and relatively fine compared to many more commercial breeds. Originally bred as a dual purpose breed for both meat ( près salé meat was and is highly sought after) and wool mainly their characteristic fading black fleeces.
They sound really nice!
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 03:37:28 pm »
All our ewes have been home-bred for many years.  We change rams every two years and have always aimed to bring in as many unrelated lines as possible.  Our earlier rams had a lot of Moulton and East Dean blood so we've steered away from them in recent years.  Our last ram was a Brooklyn and the present one is a Buckland.  . 

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 04:05:03 pm »
You could always try contacting Mathew Mccann the secretary of the Ouessant sheep society I believe there are a number of Ouessant sheep breeders in the cornwall region.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS