Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Subcutaneous injections  (Read 3296 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Subcutaneous injections
« on: March 29, 2018, 09:57:16 pm »
I've never been very good at this type of injection. I've always done it in the neck and I've seen my vet do it just behind the fore leg. I just wondered if you can give this type of injection on the side of the body near the ribs, as I feel I can hold them better. I also think I've seen a vet inject there.Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you
4 pet sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Subcutaneous injections
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 11:17:20 pm »
Yes you can give it over the ribs.  When you inject calcium you can only give 10ml per site, so end up using most of the possible locations!

The only thing I'd mention is that you can sometimes get abcesses where you've injected, and therefore injecting in skin which isn't wool-covered is preferable if possible.  Otherwise you can get damage at shearing time, with an abcess getting nicked by the clippers.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 07:55:39 am »

The only thing I'd mention is that you can sometimes get abcesses where you've injected, and therefore injecting in skin which isn't wool-covered is preferable if possible.  Otherwise you can get damage at shearing time, with an abcess getting nicked by the clippers.

With my LLanwenogs the only non wool covered skin is their nose! .... I'm usually fighting 4 inches of wool at this time of year  :knit:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 08:06:38 am »
With my LLanwenogs the only non wool covered skin is their nose! .... I'm usually fighting 4 inches of wool at this time of year  :knit:

Ditto Ryelands ::)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 08:21:08 am »
injecting in skin which isn't wool-covered is preferable if possible.

Just make sure it's not somewhere like right up an armpit, where an abscess would rub sore.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 09:39:13 am »
I was taught to "make a little tent" of loose skin and inject into the base of it.  I use a short, fine gauge needle, clean one for each sheep, and rub the injection site to disperse the adjuvant.  I inject in the neck and it's where the sheep have least wool at this time of year.  If I have to give two injections in fairly short succession (Ovivac P Plus, for example) I inject first in the left side and then in the right.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 02:24:28 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I injected one of my ewes today with Metacam and did it over her ribs where I could pinch a bit of skin to make a tent. It was much less stressful for her and me!
4 pet sheep

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 08:02:59 am »
Thanks for the replies. I injected one of my ewes today with Metacam and did it over her ribs where I could pinch a bit of skin to make a tent. It was much less stressful for her and me!
[/quote

Hint: Make sure you do it with the needle pointing forward (towards the head) so that if they move they don't back onto the needle

The sterimatic auto injectors are great if you are doing more than a few sheep and want a clean needle every time

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 11:46:40 am »
I was taught to "make a little tent" of loose skin and inject into the base of it.

Yes, and that's what all the textbooks say. I don't know why, but our sheep just don't do 'loose skin'. You can get some of the way there by bending the neck towards you, but then they tend to struggle, which isn't ideal. There's also a hell of a depth of wool to get through before you can find the sheep underneath.

Nowadays, we also often inject over the ribs, and use a sterimatic for anything more than a few sheep. The reason for this is as much to making accidental self-injection harder as it is to improve hygiene.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 11:49:32 am »
Part the fleece, pinch the skin and pull it outwards to make a tent, then inject into it.  Be careful not to go right through to the other side. That's how I've always done subcut injections. Metacam into where the neck meets the shoulder on the top, or calciject under the skin on the ribs in 2 places.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 08:34:20 pm »
I've always injected in the neck but they seem more likely to get an abscess, my shearer advised injecting behind the front leg which I've done the last 2 years, if they get a lump it seems to drain and dry without a problem as there's no fleece, it's worked much better for my lot.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 10:56:46 am »
+1 for sterimatic.  Did some without it the other day and instantly stabbed myself lol.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS