Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: slap marks  (Read 3626 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
slap marks
« on: September 01, 2008, 09:36:48 pm »
My pigs are ready for slaughter  :-\ I have just remembered that they need to have a slap mark before leaving my holding. Can anyone tell me where to get one from - mail order is fine.  :pig:
Karen

myrtle

• Joined Aug 2008
Re: slap marks
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 07:39:42 pm »
Hi - I have just gone through this so may be able to help!

Check with your slaughterhouse as to how they require your pigs to be marked. I thought I could take mine with a slap mark but was told that this can rub off during processing - I had to tag mine, which although sounds a little bit off putting was absolutely straight forward. It can take a few days for tags to come through (you have to have them made up with your Defra herd/flock number).

Our local slaughterhouse was very helpful and talked me through all the regs and paperwork that I needed.

Good Luck!

Myrt

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 10:37:27 pm »
Karen,

Try Fearing's - their Multiflex R tag is ideal (http://www.fearing.co.uk/new_tag_management.cns?cID=12) - we use them for all our pigs. You can get your Defra/Dard/etc. herd no. on one side and you own reference no. (pedigree name/number etc.) on the other. You'll need the pliers for them as well.

Cheers

Gavin

Jayhawk

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Duns
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 06:39:11 pm »
Slapmarks are fine with my local slaughterhouse. However, if you need tags I believe they have to be brass to withstand the scalding process.
Old age is a privilege denied to too many

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS