Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quads born  (Read 2090 times)

Missy

• Joined Jul 2017
Quads born
« on: March 19, 2018, 08:11:42 am »
This is a first for me - early hours of this morning 4 lambs born to my ryeland ewe.  First 2 tiny and took a bit of reviving - 3rd tiny but ok and 4th quite big and stuck with one front leg behind again.  Made sure all had colostrum and 6.30 this am - fed 2 who looked the most shivery. Under heat lamp.  One doesnt look that bright I must admit.

Is there anything else I should do.  I cant foster one on to anything as triplets and twins.

I thought I would just feed whichever one of the quads looks most in need or would you separate and feed two?#

I always worry that I have damaged the ewe as I did have to pull quite hard with the last one.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Quads born
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 08:34:27 am »
I've never had any success leaving triplets on ewes. My experience is that the ewe gets pulled down very fast, or that the realises she didn't have enough milk and abandons/rejects a lamb. I've had that rejection happen at up to 2 weeks old. It was sad to see.

Any triplets I take the smallest one off, or if there's a choice I'd take the ewe lamb and put it in a dog crate with a heat lamp for a couple of days until its used to the bottle.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 09:28:15 am »
You can pull quite hard and not damage a ewe. It's when you go rooting around inside to find a lamb/leg/head that the damage can occur. It would be worth giving her a jab of metacam and antibiotics just to be on the safe side. Anything that's had a hard lambing/intervention (more than just a pull) here gets it as soon as possible. Growing triplets/quads can take it out of a ewe just the pregnancy alone, so I wouldn't ever turn a ewe out with more than 2 lambs. Seen it happen with leaving triplets on a ewe and not only do you end up with 3 small lambs at the end of summer but a ewe that's been run down and the risk of mastitis. I had a set of triplets this year took the biggest lamb off to leave 2 even sized lambs. Big lamb is flying on a bottle and the other 2 are doing very well on the ewe.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 11:00:26 am »
Owning my 'Like' of twizzel's post.  I'd absolutely take at least two off.  a) they'll be company for each other - a solitary bottle lamb won't do as well as one that has company of its own kind.  b) Like twiz, I have many times had problems with a triplets mum, sometimes the pregnancy and birth takes so much out of them they're better off left with just a single, frankly.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 11:13:37 am »
I'd leave a matching size pair on the ewe and bottle feed the others.  I recommend cutting an old sweatshirt into suitable size rectangles, cutting two T-shaped holes for the front legs and putting jackets on them - it makes a huge difference to survivability over the first three days.  I'd also continue feeding colostrum to the tinies for 24 hours - the high energy value will benefit.  Feed small amounts often.  A Pritchard teat is often easier for tinies to manage.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS