Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buttercups in Pasture  (Read 2316 times)

Laura_Long

• Joined Jul 2017
Buttercups in Pasture
« on: March 23, 2018, 12:09:35 pm »
Hi All,

I have an infestation of tiny buttecup rosettes throughout my pasture (2.5acres).  I have somebody renting the field to cut for haylage this year - they are planning to use an organic fertilizer and I will overseed with pony pasture seed including creeping red fescue to try and fill in the open sward.  She will want to get two cuts from it this summer.  When would the best time to make the first cut with the aim of cutting buttercup before it seeds?  I am going around with a rag fork and hand weeding as much as I can but its widespread!! On a plus note my hamstrings are getting a good workout!!

I don't want to use any chemicals to control it if at all possible.

TIA

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
Re: Buttercups in Pasture
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 12:13:49 pm »
buttercups are usually a sign that a field has a really low ph.  lime usually gets rid of them and makes the grass grow better.  probably worth taking a soil sample.

Laura_Long

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 12:19:24 pm »
Yes that's correct, I am pretty sure the land is acidic and I will try and get some lime down when they fertilize.  In the mean time when is best to get the field cut before it seeds? I am new to all of this and google isn't providing what I need.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 08:01:39 pm »
I've no idea about when buttercups seed but they do quite a bit of spreading via suckers that spread out at soil level (like  Strawberries) which won't be affected by mowing.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 11:46:17 pm »
Two things we found helpful:  sow a thicker sward:  Graze hard with sheep.

It's best not to use manure and lime at the same time. It's usually done at 6 weeks apart.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 05:44:40 am »
The grass out competing them with the fertilizer and changing the pH with the lime will kill the buttercup out

Laura_Long

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 08:53:49 am »
Thanks all. Seems like I am doing the right thing!  I will keep hand pulling, will harrow and reseed with creeping red rescue mix to try and outcompete it and test ph and add lime if necessary.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS