Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Calling brussel sprout experts ...  (Read 2849 times)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
Calling brussel sprout experts ...
« on: October 11, 2010, 07:22:09 am »
About 20 of my 30 brussel plants have "opened up". This is the first year that I have grown them and rather than tight buttons they look like they have had a blow dry from a frenetic hairdresser. What have I done wrong or is it just one of those things? They are planted in a windy spot and have very little protection. Anyone got any ideas?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Calling brussel sprout experts ...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 10:30:18 am »
I'm not an expert, although I do love sprouts.  I think there can be various causes.  It could be the variety itself - I have tried several times to grow purple sprouts but they always 'blow', and other varieties have that tendency when I grow them here. 
The main reason quoted is that they need very firm soil, although others say it doesn't matter.  I would suggest that it would be worth your while firming the soil by trampling when you plant out your sprouts, then because you are on a windy site, stake them all individually.  This will stop them waving around and loosening the soil and their roots as they do so.
You can still eat blown sprouts, in fact some of the catalogues are selling something this year which has been specially bred but to me looks just like a blown sprout  :D
Maybe someone else will have a definitive cause.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 11:02:07 am »
Yes it sounds like they have blown. Mine did the same this year. Next year try not to plant in a position where the wind will get them (almost impossible here). Firm the roots down hard when you plant.

:farmer:

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 09:49:19 am »
Okay - I think I know the problem. The ground they are in was recently ploughed so the soil will not :yum: be as firm as it could be. Thanks very much - looks like I need to harvest my blown sprouts today then!

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 10:29:33 am »
Yum they will be like eating spring greens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS