Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Effective vole deterrents  (Read 2897 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Effective vole deterrents
« on: March 04, 2018, 04:54:07 pm »
Apart from keeping ground free of weeds (to deter vole adventures), can anyone vouch for chemical rodent deterrents (I include the various DIY solutions based on garlic, chilli, eggs etc)?  In other words, has anyone had a nibbling-vole problem that has actually been helped by periodic application of any sort of supposed rodent deterrent?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:29:35 pm by arobwk »

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Effective vole deterrents
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 11:22:59 pm »
I took on a young feral cat not long ago and she has killed loads of voles over the past few weeks. Never knew there were so many at this time of year. Wish she was good at getting the moles as well. they seem to have moved in to our place.

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 05:58:27 pm »
You might be just in time to put an owl nesting box up.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 06:12:33 pm »
You might be just in time to put an owl nesting box up.

I love this.  Instead of just removing the voles, use them as food for wildlife, not just owls but kestrels, foxes (so they don't eat your chickens), buzzards and so on.  For keeping voles off young trees, short tree protectors work fine, about 6" tall and pushed into the ground a little. You can make about 4 from one long one.
I've not had any success with the kind of deterrents you mention, but then I've not tried them  :D   Chillis apparently deter elephants.................
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 06:40:02 pm »
garlic deters most grazers.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 11:20:34 pm »
Thanks all for thoughts.  Main planting area is deer/rabbit fenced so I'm dependent on bird predators and one of my dogs (the other isn't interested in vole hunting) for predation within the fence:  buzzard/s & kestrel/s do patrol my patch routinely.
I will be using plant-guards for anything planted outside the fence &, as you suggest Fleecewife, will push/dig into the ground an inch or so.  However, inside the fence, my apple rootstocks are worst effected, but these will be stooled for rootstock propagation so, unfortunately, guards not the answer in that case. 
Liking your suggestion Glencairn of an owl box, but I don't have many options:  no owly-habitat buildings and nothing other than shrubby trees surrounding.  I have one abandoned telecoms pole right next to the road (not sure would be best to use that one though) and one Western Power pole farther in:  I may well ask WP if they would be content for me to attach an owl box to that.
All in all, I am going to be dependent on a good weeding regime plus the birds, one dog and anything extra that will deter nibbling.  I guess I have nothing to lose by applying smelly/bad-tasting concoctions, but I'd still be interested in hearing whether anyone has seen any noticeable effect from their use and about any particular noxious recipe/product that's worked for them.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:49:34 pm by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS