Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Deer and soft fruit plants  (Read 2082 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Deer and soft fruit plants
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:31:33 am »
I am creating a soft fruit area in our garden but we have a number of visiting roe and muntjac deer.  I know I will need to cage the black and redcurrants to keep the birds off them but in the past I haven't had to cage autumn raspberries, blackberries or tayberries.  Does anyone know whether the deer will graze the leaves as the birds haven't  been interested in the past.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Deer and soft fruit plants
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 11:45:44 am »
They definitely will. My goats love brambles (raspberry and blackberry) in fact this is the first thing they go for. Deer are a bit similar to goats in their browsing habits
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 01:10:59 pm »
I'd assume so too. My Castlemilks love the blackberry and raspberry leaves and in autumn we actually worried about one of our ram lambs as he went all purple around the mouth, soon realised he was the reason the wild blackberry harvest was low!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 02:10:13 pm »
I planted 60 willow whips. The deer had those as well

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS