Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hen who is suspect egg bound.  (Read 2091 times)

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Hen who is suspect egg bound.
« on: March 04, 2018, 09:42:05 am »
Hi,

One of my hens is suspected egg bound. I have read that you need to give them a load  of calcium and warm baths in Epsom salts. I did this yesterday, however no sign of her laying anything. She is eating and drinking still. My vets is closed due to the bad weather.

Any advice greatful.

Thank you

Emily

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Hen who is suspect egg bound.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 11:38:47 am »
Keep her warm in the meantime. Ie don't put her back outside in the cold. I used to have this happen with Chinese quail and the vet said it's the cold that causes it. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 06:03:57 pm »
Thank you for this advice.

I took her to the vets on Monday. Sadly there was nothing that could be done. He suspected she had peritnitius and was pts.?

Emily

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 07:52:59 pm »
We just took one of ours to the vet this afternoon - same issue.  Thought I'd write to share the rubbish feeling!  But the consolation must be the lovely outdoorsy life we gave them first....

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 07:58:19 pm »
I can agree with you there. As a previous ex batt, she had a couple of years of enjoying the great outdoors.

I was strange but apparently I was not the only one visiting the vets with a poorly hen that day. The vet reckoned it could also be due to the cold weather, with hens not drinking or eating as much grit and stuff as normal.

Never had it before and hope to not have it again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS