Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oh the fun of the freeze  (Read 1969 times)

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Oh the fun of the freeze
« on: February 28, 2018, 10:26:31 am »
Spent the morning getting water to 160 outdoor pigs.

The drinkers that have faired the best are the 14 litre metal ones that have been sunk in to the mud by pigs, nicely insulated they've mostly stayed liquid if not actually running. Next after those are the 120 litre cow/horse drinkers, plastic combined with bigger capacity has proved quite useful in this weather.

The worst are the 2.5 litre ones above ground, freeze solid too easily and even for 2-3 micro-pigs just not enough capacity when filled by hand. These really need to be indoor only i think, won't buy any more.

Will definitely by buying more of the big plastic drinkers and sinking them further into their concrete pads

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Oh the fun of the freeze
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 12:26:11 pm »
Yup. That's enough winter now I think  :-\ .

We have been served very well again this winter by our Woodford frost free tap. At the time I winced at the cost of it (over a hundred quid!  :o ), but it's one of those things that just works, and goes on just working. I honestly don't know where we'd be without it!

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 12:31:15 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 09:17:50 pm »
ah yes i have seen these, might have to investigate again, although we had stored water for manually filling drinkers i wouldn't want to be drinking it particularly

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 11:00:05 am »
Looks a seriously good bit of kit.  Wish it was easier to retrofit on a concrete yard.  I speak as one who has spent much of the last five days lugging water to most of the stock

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS