Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 11 month old gilts for slaughter  (Read 1900 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
11 month old gilts for slaughter
« on: August 08, 2010, 07:38:57 pm »
After the bout of erysipilis that one of my gilts had, I have been advised not to breed from her so I am going to send both of them off as I don't want to keep just one pig as she will be lonely.

I was thinking as they are chubby GOS pigs that they could be minced instead of doing joints etc (probably too fatty now) and make the whole lot into sausages for us and sell the mince to customers.

Is this the best use or does anyone have any better ideas?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: 11 month old gilts for slaughter
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 08:28:22 am »
It would mean a heck of a lot of mince.  Why not sell sausages to your customers, therefore getting a mark up on the product.

Also if they are big the hams will be superb, make at least one ham, (although once you have tried one you will probably want to make 4).  If the legs are too fatty the butcher can remove the skin, cut off some of the fat and replace the skin.  The bellies at this time of year will make the best ever spare ribs or cut into slabs and barbeque.  (Mouth watering at the thought). 

Dont waste the loins, turn them into the best bacon you will ever eat.  If you feel they are too fatty, have them skinned and ask for some of the fat to be cut off. 

Lastly keep some mince for yourselves, its amazingly versatile and so tasty.

Hope all goes well on slaughter day.  Would love to hear what you eventually decide.

chickenfeed

Re: 11 month old gilts for slaughter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 08:37:10 am »
 :wave:i would ask the butcher if i could go down when he is ready to cut and let him advise, but i would not go down the mince route, sausages & burgers would be a much better seller.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS