Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Balding Pig!  (Read 1931 times)

aboud

• Joined Jul 2017
Balding Pig!
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:39:32 am »
Good Morning,

One of my pigs has started to go quite bald across his back.

He has always been quite thin on top (something I can sympathise with).  But he has two patches where he seems to be completely bald.

His skin doesn't look sore at all and he isn't scratching any more than normal / than the others.

Is this something I should worry about or is it normal 'pig balding'?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Balding Pig!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 10:35:34 am »
I wouldn't be too concerned. Some pigs do seem to have less hair cover than others. Temperature is an obvious factor and although the outside temperature maybe quite low he could just be too warm cuddled in with the other pigs. Mineral deficiency maybe a consideration. Then there are the possibilities of mange or lice but you'd expect soreness and everyone to be the same.

I'd just keep an eye on it and possibility feed something like seaweed in the feed.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 05:23:20 pm »
Could it be due to scratching his back against the ark or other structure?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 06:24:54 pm »
Is the skin just hairless or does it look crusty in any way?  Pigs will often get a staph. infection set in when the skin is compromised due to lice or mange.  Has it been stressed in any way - change of routine, really bad weather, etc.?

aboud

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 08:05:59 am »
No, he doesn't seem to be scratching excessively and the skin doesn't look crusty either.  The bald areas don't seem sensitive to the touch either.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 08:28:18 am »
They all look very content and healthy.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 10:48:45 am »
If it gets worse or there are other symptoms I'd consult your vet.  It's not something I've ever seen in a pig.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS