Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wood ash in dust bath?  (Read 2088 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
wood ash in dust bath?
« on: February 07, 2018, 02:57:19 pm »
it is good?  :chook:

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
Re: wood ash in dust bath?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 05:18:10 pm »
I read that somewhere and provided it, and robins etc. use it, but my chooks prefer dry soil...

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 05:41:54 pm »
Dry soil (dried molehills is relatively clean from vegetable matter and muck) or dry soil mixed with sawdust.  I son't like them breathing in ash.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 06:00:04 pm »
It depends on your set-up.  In the winter we let our hens into the polytunnel so they can dust bathe in dry soil, but for the rest of the year they are not allowed in.  So, if it's raining then they might not be able to find anywhere dry to bathe.  However, ours have now made themselves a batheing area in a dirt floored leanto.  We did used to leave a tray of wood ashes under cover for them, and they loved it, and sometimes now we add ashes to their favourite spot. We never had respiratory problems when our hens did use ashes alot, but it could well be a risk factor.  I suppose you could add diatomaceous earth to their batheing hollows, or to soil in a box, and that would help against passengers, which is what wood ashes do.  I used to be doubtful about the use of DE but now I like it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 07:43:27 am »
We put wood ash in our soil baths if they are using them frequently, which can be a sign of lice. Used in moderation in the chickens' dry soil bath it does indeed control lice well, but it is completely useless against any red mite carried on them.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 09:10:55 am »
I once made a big covered dust bathing area for our hens and filled it with a mixture of dry soil, sand and wood ash.

The hens loved it. Unfortunately our cat thought I'd built him the best outdoor toilet in the valley!  This situation persisted until our neighbours built a 1000m2 outdoor riding arena filled with wood chips. The cat thinks this is the best outdoor toilet in the whole universe, so thankfully now leaves the hens alone!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS