Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding turkey chicks  (Read 1985 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
Feeding turkey chicks
« on: August 01, 2010, 09:34:21 pm »
We have taken onb a 1yr old female Narrangansett, and three Bourbon Red chicks (not related) that she has hatched a few days ago. ....It was us or,,,,,,, chrchkt !! Anyway, the breeder told me to feed the chicks on crushed up hard boiled hens eggs.  what do you think? Is this a good idea?

I will be getting  chick crumbs (turkey) as soon as i can.... but is this standard GB practice, or is it continental ? (the breeder is Danish)
cheers emma
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Feeding turkey chicks
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:37:56 pm »
It is standard if you don't have crumb or if you have a sick bird

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 08:58:40 am »
thanks ellisr!
that is reasuring... fast learning curve here. i have chooks but no experience with turkeys!! Have spent the last couple of days observing behaviour and have worked out the difference between motherly, content, and stress noises! so far so good!

the Mum is quite thin - having spent 4wks hatching the eggs. so i will continue to give them eggs, but introduce chick crumbs as well.

Off to local feed store!
Emma

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 09:58:24 am »
I would keep putting mashed egg in for a while if mum is still quite thin along with some crumb and if you can put a feeder just out of reach of the young ones and some layers for mum. She will soon put on weight so don't worry and good luck

bamford6

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 10:54:31 am »
get digestive biskits crush them up with the boild eggs and some olive oil will soon see the diferance

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 02:19:47 pm »
OOOH Bamfords that sounds quite a mixture. May just try it- and  hang the pellets in a high feeder!
Thanks Emma

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS