Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it right for vets to speak out on animal welfare issues?  (Read 7647 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Is it right for vets to speak out on animal welfare issues?
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 06:36:45 pm »
I wish clodhopper's comments were true but I've met and worked with all sorts.. those vets who have skills and compassion, those with just one of the above and those that view themselves more as deserving of professional respect and status and shun the difficult or inconvenient - more so amongst the millenials brought up with sound-bite beliefs in work-life balance and showing themselves to have better salary/perks/benefits than their contemporaries.
Notwithstanding the above I believe it is the duty of a vet to act as advocate for the animal and speak out when necessary. Yeah, i offended some folk who didn't like to hear my views and suprisingly many of them came back when they realised they got the real truth from me rather than some sugar-coated platitudes.

Ermingtrude

• Joined Mar 2017
Re: Is it right for vets to speak out on animal welfare issues?
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 02:05:23 am »
As a RGN and a VN, I have seen both. Parents of a toddler who has been burnt with a hot drink, putting toothpaste on the burn, as the menthol will cool it... ( don't ask, it doesn't work ) and sheep owners rubbing mint leaves on a section of fly strike that you could put your fist in...as mint deters flies. People need teaching, or animals suffer from neglect Neglect can be over care, or lack of care, and isn't always intensional.  Death by over weight is as bad as starvation.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS