Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much do Berkshire pigs root  (Read 5321 times)

Rick_

• Joined Jan 2018
How much do Berkshire pigs root
« on: January 14, 2018, 07:26:23 pm »
Hello,
I would like to know how often and how deep berkshire pigs root compared to other pigs and compared to Kune Kune's.

Thank you for your time!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: How much do Berkshire pigs root
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 01:41:53 pm »
I doubt anyone has taken measurements but we will see.

All pigs root, it is part of being a pig. Some say Berkshires and Middle Whites dig less than other breeds and Kune's dig least of all. In my experience BK and MW dug no less than any other breed. I have never kept Kune's. Kune's are said to graze and do grow slowly compared to other breeds, so maybe if they have lots of good grass they aren't as predisposed to rooting for goodies, I don't know. I suspect if they haven't enough grazing they will dig.

Pigs will turn over virgin ground more than ground that has been dug by pigs and reseeded. They will dig more at certain times such as autumn and after rain.

If you don't want to "damage" your land or do anything to repair damage, don't keep pigs. Depending on how much land you give them, soil type and the good, old English weather your ground will range from being turned over to extremely muddy with any variation in between.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 08:54:40 pm »
My last two Berkshires certainly turned over a lot of land , depth was about two thirds of a snout , say 4 inches , apart where they either made wallows or drainage where it could be deeper , or where they had found something nice.

"
Pigs will turn over virgin ground more than ground that has been dug by pigs and reseeded. They will dig more at certain times such as autumn and after rain
." this is very true

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 10:08:35 pm »
It depends how soft the ground is and how long they are on it. Yes about 4"but left long enough they will dig some spots deeper. I have buried a water pipe about a foot down (did it is a hurry) and aim to redo it about 2 foot down as at present I am concerned they may eat it for breakfast one day. 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 07:59:36 am »
Sometimes they dig a big hole. Sometimes they dig lots of little holes. Sometimes they just roll back the grass. What they never seem to do is fill the holes back in!  :innocent:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 10:25:55 am »
Sometimes they dig a big hole. Sometimes they dig lots of little holes. Sometimes they just roll back the grass. What they never seem to do is fill the holes back in!  :innocent:
Oh I dont Know, sometimes they'll trip a human in to a hole !

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 01:00:00 pm »
Someone you didn't like?  :eyelashes:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 01:46:11 pm »
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:16:48 pm by Rupert the bear »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 04:19:00 pm »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 04:59:51 pm »
Someone you didn't like?  :eyelashes:
See my attachment in my post on this page  :)

https://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=89418.0

You don't think Mrs RTB was behind it?

No, just 2 black piggies wanting to play but Mrs RTB let the hose run for the coldest water before she hosed me down !

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 05:33:42 pm »
On a positive note  :innocent: I have never yet fallen down a Berkshire dug hole, but I have just vacuum packed some delicious air dried ham. Some things are worth a few holes.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 09:22:23 pm »
I think possibly, if you're worried about rooting at all, then pigs are the wrong animal for you....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS