Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much do butchers charge to make ham and bacon?  (Read 4173 times)

Welshlad

• Joined Aug 2016
How much do butchers charge to make ham and bacon?
« on: January 13, 2018, 08:40:06 pm »
I'm thinking of going down the line of selling bacon and ham instead of pork boxes.

What would a typical butcher charge to cure a loin for bacon and some joints for ham?

On average, how many slices of bacon would I expect from a 7 month pig?

Is there a profit margin for this after paying the butcher to cure slice and pack?

A brief indication would be greatly appreciated!

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: How much do butchers charge to make ham and bacon?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 08:51:48 pm »
I can't give you exact figures off hand but yes there is profit after paying someone to cure, slice and pack it.

What are you going to do with the rest of the carcass?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 07:02:19 am »
Its very easy to cure bacon and to cure hams for yourself. I suspect the problem is doing it 'hygienically' if your selling to others. I'd be hesitant to use Nitrates too, just in case someone had a reaction, nut you can buy ready mixed 'cures'.

I was amazed at the cost I was charged for curing and slicing bacon.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 08:54:48 am »
Prices can vary a lot from butcher to butcher for this sort of thing so I would ask those you might get to do the work.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 08:11:54 pm »
Its very easy to cure bacon and to cure hams for yourself. I suspect the problem is doing it 'hygienically' if your selling to others. I'd be hesitant to use Nitrates too, just in case someone had a reaction, nut you can buy ready mixed 'cures'.

I was amazed at the cost I was charged for curing and slicing bacon.

Yes it is easy but the money involved in setting up an EHO approved facility makes it less tenable

Welshlad

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 11:55:25 am »
Roughly how much does it cost to cure and cut as a very brief indication?

What would you do with the rest of the carcass?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 09:31:36 am »
There's a few ways to cure yourself, I follow a Fernly-Wittingstall recipe, (roughly) about 2kg of brown sugar, some juniper berries, about 4kg of table salt and Nitrate. I think it costs around £5 to cure 2 loins of pork. The nitrate is expensive but you only use a tiny amount. Ask the butcher to cut the loin for bacon. You can buy a cheap 'meat' slicer for around £50 but I just cut slices with a knife

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 10:13:18 am »
Or you can buy ready made cures from 'Butchers Sundries' that include everything.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 11:21:22 am »
We pay just over £40 for kill and cut. Sausage costs roughly a £1 a lb to make. We do our own bacon. Prices quoted on here have varied enormously, which is why I suggested you ask those who might do it for you.
A standard cut is shoulders boned and rolled, rolled and boned loin or chops, belly pork and leg joints. You can then vary that with mincing, dicing, pork steaks, fillet, hams etc. There is also no reason why you can't make a whole pig into bacon and sausage.

People find it hard to shift leg joints.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 11:23:02 am »
If you look down the pig forum page for "pigs are home" by rupert the bear, he has given his costs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS