Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Life in Orkney  (Read 1471 times)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Life in Orkney
« on: January 06, 2018, 08:13:12 pm »
Hello everyone,

It has been a few years since I have posted on the forum so I thought a reintroduction would be appropriate! I have a very small holding on an island (Westray) in Orkney of just two acres. We have been here almost 4 years. I have chickens, ducks and a few sheep. I also raise a couple of weaners a year, just for ourselves. I am also trying to develop a productive garden but it has been a slow learning curve.

I have learnt a lot about smallholding in the last four years, however, due to ill health and other things I feel like I've just really been ticking over rather than developing in the way I want to. I'm hoping this will change in 2018. I'm hoping to gain more knowledge and also share what I have learnt.

Yay for 2018!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Life in Orkney
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 11:48:32 pm »
 :wave: Glad that things are improving for you. I look forward to hearing more about your smallholding.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 12:29:13 am »
Hello again Clarebelle  :wave:

Smallholding, and particularly veggie growing, is so difficult when your health is below par, but the brilliant thing is that next year is a fresh start.  I find at the changing of the year I'm full of new enthusiasm  :garden:

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your venture.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 10:18:47 am »
You live a a beautiful part of the world. Good luck with your veg!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS