Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ideas for waste fleece  (Read 5159 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: ideas for waste fleece
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 11:29:24 pm »

Hi I have just joined the accidental small holder and I would suggest trying the not so good fleece through a swing picker , we have just purchased a minty model and it is very aggressive with the fleece so what would have been impossible by hand is truly easy . It also removes an incredible amount of VM .

I think at nearly 400 quid to rescue substandard fleece.... I pass....

But if you already have one then yes, ideal.  I would use it on my white Shetland fleeces as my 2 wethers are so popular with the tups they share a field with, that their fleeces are often muddy and a bit matted, but still lovely.
I've found it on Fibre Hut  https://www.fibrehut.co.uk/products/wool-picker.  It looks petrifying but very useful.  Have you used yours much yet [member=175850]simonoakley[/member]?  Hello and welcome by the way  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

simonoakley

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 08:14:10 am »
as anke pointed out they are expensive (£299 if you go direct to minty products) and it wasn't purchased to save sub standard fleece it was a suggestion that it may make more of the wool usable that would have been thrown away . It may also be worth speaking to your local weaving spinning and dyeing guild as they may have one to borrow . Fleecewife i have so far put 3 jacobs , 1 mohair goat and 2 south down through and have another 7 south down and am working towards quite a large amount more jacobs . Thank you for the warm welcome to the forum i will hopefully post some useful information as we (Mrs O) learn the end to end process of wool preparation .

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 06:45:43 pm »
I have a friend who made a fleece picker. She got a wooden wine box and fixed some savage looking nails on the inside of the lid. Slide the lid backwards and forwards and you have a picker if sorts
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

simonoakley

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 08:18:07 am »
There are plans on the internet , if anyone is interested I can dig the link out . I costed it at about £35 to build from plywood. Or if you have a local import company the pallet topers are free .
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:20:28 am by simonoakley »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS