Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Portable winch  (Read 2281 times)

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
Portable winch
« on: January 11, 2018, 09:12:59 am »
I have a pond which has had a couple of big old trees fallen into it over the years. I did have someone come in and spend two days cutting up and moving the trees but they only got through about half of the job. I have therefore decided I will do the rest this summer.

My plan is to cut up the trees and branches into manageable section and I want to then put them into dumpy bags and winch then out of the pond. They will have to be winched up a slope of 15ft before I can empty the dumpy bags.

What I am looking for is a portable electric winch that I can anchor to a tree at the top of the slope. This will be about 100m from the nearest electric socket so in theory I could run a long enough extension lead if this was the best option.

Can anyone give me names of the type of winch I need to buy or hire to do this job. My apologies if my description of what I need is not clear.
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Portable winch
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:39:11 am »
Mains powered winches may not be waterproof PTD and they are expensive. Can you rig up a simple block and tackle and use a vehicle to pull the bags up the slope?

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 09:56:32 am »
The winch part would be up the slope away from the pond so I would not think the waterproof would be an issue. I have thought about pulling the dumpy bag out using my quad bike but I thought I would just end up churning up the ground and I want to avoid that because the ground is actually my garden.
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 10:28:42 am »
hire a tirfor hand winch / line puller   hand operated so no power issues

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 12:45:30 am »
I have a pond which has had a couple of big old trees fallen into it over the years. I did have someone come in and spend two days cutting up and moving the trees but they only got through about half of the job. I have therefore decided I will do the rest this summer.

My plan is to cut up the trees and branches into manageable section and I want to then put them into dumpy bags and winch then out of the pond. They will have to be winched up a slope of 15ft before I can empty the dumpy bags.

What I am looking for is a portable electric winch that I can anchor to a tree at the top of the slope. This will be about 100m from the nearest electric socket so in theory I could run a long enough extension lead if this was the best option.

Can anyone give me names of the type of winch I need to buy or hire to do this job. My apologies if my description of what I need is not clear.

A sledge of flat galv steel sheet with a strong reinforced  tow point could help in dragging the bags up from the pond area & not wreck the garden too much  You might  even be able to tow it with your quad if you use low gear four wheel drive & do it slowly without revving the guts out the quad .

You'd need to have a very electric heavy cable for a 100 mtrs run as the voltage drop along 100 mtrs would cause your motors to either not work or more likely burn out in a very short time .

A generator of sufficient size   would be a better bet if you can get it close enough to the pond but remember water & electricity can be fatal , I'd recommend  a hand winch set up .

I'd hire a 3 tonne or so TIRFOR hand winch with a 10 0r 15 mtr cable and use a lorry ratchet strap to make the anchor point on the nearest tree .

If the distance to the tree is  great you'll need to make a field anchor set up to get the logs out but will stand the chance of wrecking your garden dragging anything heavy over it  .

A simple set up is four two meter lengths of some heavy 3 inch chains pinned in a fan shape ,  culminating at the point of the fan with a very large shackle that you can fit the winch body anchor  hook to .  Pin it through the links to the ground with 20  or so one  mtr long rebar stakes set at 15 to 20 degrees angles  opposite to the pull ,  each stake needs to also be 45 degrees to the one in front .  ( Inter link your straightened  fingers & you'll get the idea of the staggering of the pins and why it is needed / angled ).

If the nearest tree is not substantial enough & it is rather wet ,  dig a trench far enough back to winch out from , make it four feet deep ,  cut a 10  inch by six foot long branch & either put a truck ratchet strap or a chain round the branch leaving a tail you can connect to , fully  bury & compact the soil over the log in the bottom of the trench .
Such an anchor should allow you to pull around seven tonnes before it rises up out the ground  .

If you can do it , a picture or two of it all would be useful .
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:59:35 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 09:50:28 am »
A sledge of flat galv steel sheet with a strong reinforced tow point.....

We use an old car bonnet from the local scrap yard. Nice and strong, and with tow points already welded on  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS