Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe off food and shouting at other herd  (Read 2520 times)

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
Ewe off food and shouting at other herd
« on: December 31, 2017, 07:53:16 am »
Hi

I wonder if anyone can give me a little advice, I have one of this years lambs which has only been seperated since putting mum in with the ram so 2 months now and has been fine bouncing around and eating until the last 2 days when she has gone off her food and is shouting at the sheep in the other field.

I don't think its anything to do with mum been in a separate field, but I am concerned she is off her feed for no obvious reason.

The breed is Ouessants and they have a stable to go in over night, plenty of hay and grass and fed twice a day on top.

Thanks for any advice.

K

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: Ewe off food and shouting at other herd
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 08:15:12 am »
On heat.....they do not need supplementary feeding this is a non commercial breed evolved over many centuries to survive on marginal grazing with no additional care. Do  NOT over supplement you won't get a hand in to manoeuvre a single lamb and the breed should only lamb singles.....
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:19:54 am by kanisha »
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 08:46:20 am »
Having read the previous thread on feeding I will clarify for those who may not quite understand the difference between feed and supplementary feed . Hay ( good quality) should always be available.  Ouessants don't like thick stems and mine will pounce on  second cut thin stemmed  hay in preference to top quality first cut so think when you   buy your hay...
Ewe lambs not with the ram should be on grazing ( and there are too many kept on too small a parcel of land to be able to rotate grazing sufficiently) and hay plus mineral block with trace elements  a highly energized block is not necessary.

Ewes expecting lambs should be on good grazing and free access to hay . Depending on the year and the time before lambing I may add some supplementary feed but this is not ewe nuts but a lower protein mix to keep condition especially if the weather is  very poor or in freezing temps . The breed does not condition score as commercial breeds but stores fat in their belly . if you have concerns over your sheep check their weight and all over condition.

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 09:21:06 am »
Thanks

OK so we shouldn't be adding in additional food,  but would this account for one of them only been off their food (which they all love but might not be getting anymore),  and acting out of character? 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 09:39:30 am »
You missed kanisha's answer to your question - "on heat" - your gimmer has her mind on reproduction not feed.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 01:32:36 pm »
lol - she's calling for a ram :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 02:58:20 pm »
You missed kanisha's answer to your question - "on heat" - your gimmer has her mind on reproduction not feed.

This.  She'll be eating quietly again tomorrow ;). (And likely doing this again in 17 days' time)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 05:40:24 pm »
unless of course they can get together .... :o :love:

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 07:27:21 am »
Yep, I did miss the answer and soo funny, so busy looking for problems to worry about didn't stand back and look at the actual signs that where in front of me.  Ta guys.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS