Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When will Harriet Lay an Egg?  (Read 3871 times)

sandy

When will Harriet Lay an Egg?
« on: August 20, 2008, 10:12:18 pm »
Just thought I would post the photo of Hariet. My 3 Black Rocks have not laid yet but not sure when they will as they are still young.
When do they usualy lay eggs and when are they fully developed? Mine are around 22-24 weeks old.
Sandy

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: When will Harriet Lay an Egg?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 11:08:42 pm »
Hi Sandy
The Kintaline people are really nice - got this link from there
http://www.blackrockhens.co.uk/
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:40:01 am »
Usually, they start to aly about 22 weeks. You might want to try getting a couple of ceramic eggs to put in the nest box to give them the idea.

Kev

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 02:16:23 pm »
hello

your not alone, I have 5 black rocks and they were 21 weeks old on Monday. 3 are starting to get visible red combs etc but 2 are still not really showing any signs and none are laying!

tried the marble eggs in the nest boxes but nothing yet still. They have also started to prefer the nest boxes to the roosting bars which is annoying only from the poo in the woodchip perspective and is a new thing as before they happily stayed on the roosting bars.

Still...as long as they start to produce soon otherwise its the cook/chook pot/s for them!

sandy

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 04:16:28 pm »
hello

your not alone,

My Black Rocks wounder around my garden and I keep looking in the bushes to check, I was going to buy a marble egg but maybe I will waite, I woundered if it was all the damp dark weather, they may think it's winter. I have noticed a sudden increase in there size and they seem to be getting redder and slightly larger combs, they certainly eat a lot but are not too interested in any kitchen scraps or nettles but they love my ferns and my other flowering plants and rose's. I used t love my ferns as well and thought they were poisonous! still the Hens certainly look well, another thing I have to watchis they keep roosting in a tree at about 7.00pm so I have to herd them back into their hutch otherwise I have a job reaching them and have to use a large brush, they don't budge. I will certainly post a message when I get my first egg my partner is getting concerned they will never lay!!!!

Sandy :chook:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 08:08:00 pm »
Patience is a virtue
Possess it if you can
You'll find it in a woman
But never in a man!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS