Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Louet drum carder  (Read 6332 times)

clickowls

• Joined Sep 2009
Louet drum carder
« on: March 08, 2010, 05:34:06 pm »
Have one of these and wool seems to be building up on first small drum, so much that I have to clear it, otherwise it will not take it in and onto second drum.  Am carding virgin so help desperately needed.

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
Re: Louet drum carder
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 08:19:43 pm »
How much are you feeding through? Don't put a lot at once, lay a small handful on main drum and let it catch as you turn it. Let the fibres be pulled from your hand gradually. It's fine if you get a small lock be pulled from your hand but if it's a big cluster, stop and turn it back and redistribute. Did you manage to wash the fleece okay? If it's felted up or tangled, you have to help it a bit by pulling the fleece apart and layering it on the main drum. Take care of the drum carder - it's an expensive bit of kit and the teeth get wrecked easily. I think there's a louet help thingy, hang on -

http://www.louet.com/spinning_weaving/pdfs/BasicCarding.pdf

There you go. Hope it helps.

clickowls

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 09:26:57 pm »
Thankyou for the link, have read that and watched more drum carders on u tube, however, having washed the fleece - carefully- I seem to have an issue with the 'licker' in that it is not just feeding in the wool onto the large drum but the wool is going around the licker, and around!  Have made sure the fleece is spread out and going in in small bits.If I knew more I would say the licker needs to be slightly closer to the large drum to enable the fibres to be fed towards the big drum without the need to go around the licker.

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 08:34:34 pm »
Is it your first round or second round? Louet drum carders are actually known for the sound they make, because the teeth are close together, so am not sure how much closer it needs to be. If it's the first round, place the fibres straight on to the main drum. For the second round, you feed it through the feeder and don't hold on to it so the other drum can pick it up (if that makes sense!)

clickowls

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 06:51:15 pm »
Thankyou Sagehen, I will try that with putting the wool on the large drum first time around.  I am controlling the amount going through, but will try that.
Washed the wool, well half of it!  Did take a fair bit of time - the rest is on the kitchen floor waiting for me - no time at present, sheep things taken over.
Also made the felt balls in school, I loved that!

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 02:47:51 pm »
Good to hear you enjoyed making the felt balls  ;D They are easy peasy and you can make so many things out of them as well. Have a look around on the net to see what people do with them  ;D

guitarlover

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 08:03:13 am »
Thanks a lot for sharing the link about drum carders.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS