Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: furry nectarines?  (Read 6067 times)

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
furry nectarines?
« on: June 16, 2010, 05:03:29 pm »
Autumn 2008 i bought a number of fruit trees from a large nursery near to me which they delivered.  Part of this order was 2 nectarine trees.  Summer 2009 they both had peach leaf curl, and tree A produced no fruit, and tree B produced 1 nectarine.  This year, they both got peach leaf curl again despite being sprayed when they should have been sprayed.  Tree B has produced no fruit.  Tree A is covered in fruit, but they are furry, like peaches.  I can't remember from last year whether our solitary nectarine was furry before it was smooth or whether perhaps they have sold us/delivered a peach tree by accident instead of 2 nectarine trees.  Anyone an expert on what the developing fruits of a nectarine tree should look like?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: furry nectarines?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 03:42:34 pm »
I think you got a peach tree by mistake, they do get mixed up in the nurseries...I bought an eating apple 2 years ago and it had lots of fruit last year - tiny little bright red crab apples! :&>

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 08:54:20 pm »
I have peaches and nectarines, the small nectarines are green and shiny. But the peaches always do better.................enjoy your peaches ;D

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 09:27:32 am »
trouble is i find nectarines sweeter than peaches, plus i hate the furry feeling on your tongue with peaches.....guess we will be having lots of peach jam and either freezing or bottling some if you can as i like peach crumbles and will save buying in from the shops!! 

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 03:49:04 pm »
I doubt you live near me  ;D but I#d happily buy them off you!! :&>

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:17:44 pm »
Me too. Peaches are my favourite fruit by miles.

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 03:21:59 pm »
afraid i'm nowhere near scotland!  to make matters worse, i really fancied some nectarines today, but the co op by us has sold out, they've only got peaches too!!  :(

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 04:06:27 pm »
I'm with you loopy- I hate the furry feeling with peaches

Beth

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 06:55:43 pm »
I love to bottle peaches and in the middle of winter I put them in to a cobbler with some custard and look out of the window and just enjoy the taste of summer, unfortunately in my current house I only have a cider apple tree which I think most village houses do in Somerset. I am hoping to move next year so an orchard will be one of my projects.
If you bottle them then they do not have the furry feeling when they are eaten

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 06:53:33 pm »
Just bought a couple of beautiful big peaches and they really are the taste of summer, well to me anyway.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 10:41:51 pm »
when abroad last week I tasted some of those small white fleshed peaches they grow amongst vine, yum! :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS