Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weak legs  (Read 7893 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: weak legs
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 12:19:38 pm »
I hope everything works out well for you and your pig  :love: :pig: :love:
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Glaswegian

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 08:16:46 pm »
hi all.
just a wee update on my two. the weak legs seem to have gone now.i put a few planks from the top of the shed to the ground,and covered them with an old white sheet to make a kinda tent.they seem to spend a lot of time in here when the sun is out.

hi greenerlife. hope your wee pig gets better.

johnie.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 08:08:12 am »
Hi that's good.  All mine have access to natural shade which is wonderful, yet the 4 that have access to the most shade are the ones who ALWAYS lay out in the sun, and are constantly having to be smothered in sun tan lotion.  So much so that OH now has sun burn cos the pigs used the last drop.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 11:09:20 am »
Very sad to report that my poor little piggie died yesterday in the sweltering heat.  Despite our best attempts at trying to get him to stand at the trough and also to drink, he just gave up.  He spent his last night stuck in the wallow, exhausted and unable to get out himself.  Vet thinks that a mixture of the meningitis and the heat probably brought on exhaustion and dehydration which were causes of death.

If it's one thing I'd like to pass on as advice is that if anyone gets in the same situation is to go for the extra shots from the vet after the initial one just to double ensure.  He was fine for a few days in between, but didn't show the same improvement after the second shot, and subsequent daily top ups.

Horrible, horrible to see, and I am very upset, blaming myself for not knowing he was stuck at night, and not spending more time trying to get him to eat and drink.  Had to drive his carcass to the local disposal incinerator this morning and am much more upset today than when they usually go to slaughter.  I cried like a baby when I had to feed my other 3 today as I had to work out what three quarters of their usual feed was! 

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 11:19:11 am »
Sorry to hear that the wee one lost the battle, I think everyone that keeps livestock will know just how dreadful you shall be feeling. :) You did do everything you could and you have also learnt valuable knowledge from the incident. Chin up.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 10:53:47 am »
I am so very sorry.  You did your best, please dont feel bad. 

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 01:16:48 pm »
Greenerlife
So sorry to hear that your little pig died, when I read your post I actually cried too having lost one last year I know just how you feel. Taking a healthy happy pig to the abattoir is what we are all aiming for so enjoy your other 3. You know that you did all you could it was just bad luck.
Anne

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 11:49:03 pm »
I know exactly what you mean, one of my GOS had this a few weeks ago with this back legs (he's now 4.5 months old). The farmer where we keep our pigs and who is experienced in pig keeping said it happens to pigs who grow too fast (even though ours are slow growing), usually with hybrids which he used to have. It has something to do with connections between bones / tissue etc, ours only had it for one evening. It's called something that's abbreviated to OCD (not obsessive compulsive disorder, but a real pig-disease). Can't remember what it's called exactly, but ask a veterinarian about pig OCD and they should know. Luckily it stopped after a few hours.

Good luck.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 10:10:31 pm »
Osteochondritis dessicans

It's a "flakiness" of the joint cartilage surface.

Often get it in dogs - labradors - so our vet told us and humans can get it in their knees.

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 10:54:09 pm »
Thanks, Susanna, our little chap had it again tonight, squeeling and grunting and dragging himself around for about 5 yards on his bottom. He went into a wallow right away so I feared he had a heatstroke and started pouring water over him but the farmer (thank god he's around!) told us it was still the same OCD causing it - I suddenly thought of the poor piggy mentioned above in this topic and feared the worst!

I know they're meant for the freezer but these piggies are still my little babies!

Eve  :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 09:09:09 am »
Hope he is well now ...

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 05:17:05 pm »
Don't know, it lasted a few hours again, I really hope it doesn't come back. The farmer has some horse tranquilizer in case it happens again. The boar who fathered these piggies had a limp and was put down after we had bought these weaners, so I wonder if leg problems could run in the family, so to speak. A limp is not quite the same as growing pains, I know, but still...

Eve  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS