Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep and cold weather  (Read 5827 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Sheep and cold weather
« on: December 11, 2017, 10:47:51 pm »
Just out of interest how many people bring their sheep indoors in sun zero conditions? 

Our area is forecast around -8 to -12 degrees tonight (currently -6) and on the drive home from work I noticed several local sheep keepers had brought theirs indoors but also several hadn't which got me thinking.

Ours don't have an actually man made field shelter so I spent a good hour or two bedding down an outbuilding with new hay, straw etc and setting up a hurdle run from the field to give ours the option to go in and out as they please. Half of them wondered down to see what was happening and then returned to the field and settle down in the snow between the hay feeder and energy block ! But they are a hill breed and there I was feeling soft . . . :)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Sheep and cold weather
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 10:53:59 pm »
mine are out, but they do have a pallet shelter they can get under, or at least out of the wind, i think wet bothers them more than cold, and of course the risk of being lost in snow drifts.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 07:23:09 am »
Sheep are fine out in snow ..... One of my ewe lambs walked round all day with inch of snow on back ...... They have best insulation going!   As long as they have some shelter (good hedge) from driving windy rain and plenty of good hay they are fine. Better to up hay quantity than concentrate cos rumen action keeps their temp up.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 07:43:10 am »
The ones round here that have been brought inside are the early lambing ewes and they would have come inside for lambing anyway within the next week or so.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 09:47:23 am »
Most livestock can cope with cold, it’s wet that does the damage.  And with snow and sheep, drifting can be dangerous, as can narrow irrigation / drainage ditches, which when covered by snow can become death traps.

Ex-BH used to feed his commercial sheep hay twice a day when the ground was frozen and/or covered in snow.  Generous quantities, spread out in a long line.  They’d eat most and then lie on the remainder, which presumably was warmer than snow as a bed.  And if he wanted to give hard feed too, the line where they’d lain on leftover hay provided a hard surface to dispense the feed and not lose it all in the snow - better than troughs in that sort of weather.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 10:45:25 am »
Mine do have a field shelter, but only half of them use it - the others seem to prefer to be outdoors. Not keen on the snow, but not looking forward to tonight when it melts and we have heavy rain as well! As others have said, they seem to mind the cold less than the wet.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 12:18:27 pm »
I have ours out all year round, but come winter time they are put in the more sheltered fields on the farm :) Usually well, although any weaker ones or small lambs I bring inside or closer to the house for more feeding/protection :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 02:19:08 pm »
Mine are out, they have haylage in a ring feeder and do have a nice shelter that they ignore unless its heavy and persistent rain. Most of the time they just tuck into the hedges for shelter

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 03:05:50 pm »
Ours too.  Fortunately all the fields have ancient hedges.  If it's going to be really dire we let the pregnant ewes  into the wood, where they have an area under Scots Pines with hedges on two sides and a metre-high pile of brash on the other. The pine needles make a soft, warm carpet and  when it snows the brash pile fills with snow and makes a windproof wall.  A field hayrack lives there permanently, just in case.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 04:46:14 pm »
More often than not they are brought in just to make feeding or management easier - i.e. if they are stores over wintering, they won't put any weight on otherwise (or they'd lose it), or if they are lambers that would be coming in in a few weeks anyway.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 05:39:44 pm »
We built a new field shelter for ours last weekend and they were all standing under there during the sleet in Norfolk yesterday. When they do have shelter options, they hide in there only in wet weather. They are hebs

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 08:33:20 pm »
Thanks for all the responses, I was slightly concerned about the -12 degrees we had last night which was the coldest we've had since sheep keeping! They were all fine this morning, just one had a big clump of snow / ice frozen to her fleece but other than that they hadn't gone into the outbuilding at all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS