Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: SNOW!  (Read 5056 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: SNOW!
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 11:00:47 am »
More snow overnight. We have just over a foot now. Lovely sunshine this morning but still -5 at eleven o'clock a.m. so a bit on the chilly side.

Schools and quite a few businesses are closed.

Just hoping we keep power!!!!!

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 12:02:57 pm »
Anyone without snow - we'll gladly send you ours - all 8 inches of it, It weighed down our fruit cage netting by about 18 inches in the middle and needed some swift action with a broom to knock it off and let the netting recover. It's also piled up on our timber gates and made them much much heavier and this morning I've found our front gate hanging at an angle so it looks like the main post has given up - another job for spring :(

Still, the sun's shining and it's a beautiful day so I'm making the most of it planning the veg beds.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 12:07:12 pm »
Snowed here last Thurs night and showers all fri , myself and 5 other vehicles got stuck between 2 hills for 2hrs until a gritter came , very cold and bright everyday since so snow still lying

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 05:00:11 pm »
35cm here, drifting 80cm.  Spent the day clearing and gritting paths, taking poultry drinkers in for the night (due to drop to -5), hay to field hayracks, water to pigs, wild bird seed to the feeders and throwing windfall apples to the blackbirds and fieldfares.   Snow loses its appeal for me about 20 minutes after the initial "Oooh" and "Aaah" moments and thereafter is a total pain in the *****.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 06:48:35 pm »
Snowed here last Thurs night and showers all fri , myself and 5 other vehicles got stuck between 2 hills for 2hrs until a gritter came , very cold and bright everyday since so snow still lying

I've still got a car to recover that I abandoned on friday night... annoyed 'cos fairly new and has fancy snow settings etc. Yeah, I should have taken the 4x4 but the comfy one went up the steep hill easily and then around a few turns of narrow lane before just wheel spinning on a gentle slope. At least i managed to slide it backwards into a gate entrance off road to leave things passable.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 08:18:57 pm »
Was pretty bad over the weekend and cold enough to freeze all the water troughs. We have been blocked in many times so a little snow does not worry me at all. I have all my winter hay in and keep a good stock of animal food, also for us too. Just part of the Scottish winter. Trouble is far too many don't know how to drive in it. OH has a dash cam. On Friday morning as he was driving into work slowly like most people this idiot passed him at speed. Spun round a few times, drove off the road and ended upside down in a field. He was unhurt unlike his wreck of a car. I was amazed when I watch the footage how anyone could be so stupid.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 08:27:29 pm »
All schools closed today - so day off work for me today lol
At the moment it's very cold. Might be up to -8 they said
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 12:16:05 pm »
snowed here 2 days ago, first thought was oh crap the milkers lol. Brought them all inside for warmth, only imports tho, homebred ones are tough and are fine with hay adlib outside, in fact they are putting on considerable weight  ::)
Sheeps pasture is buried in the snow, so been giving them feed and carting hay up to them too. Although have noticed they are making pathways through the snow, then they mug me for feed when I go up there :D :D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:07:31 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 12:07:13 am »
I'm hoping that the forecast is right and it is going to get slightly less cold. Sick of being inside. Today the goats came out for the first time since Thursday which means I have seen Pom for the first time in four days. They don't seem to mind their feet being in the snow but I don't think Pom was impressed by getting a cold chin when she rested it in her favourite place - the gate.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 01:36:48 am »
I think we ended up with the perfect amount of snow, enough for a snowman for the toddler but not too much to trudge through. The lugging buckets of water around was a pain though, we really need to work on burying water pipes.

Our geese weren't convinced by the snow at all though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJHGv-6tPBQ&t=31s

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 02:19:34 am »
For next time the snow is bad, don't forget to take a 'go bag' with you whenever you go out on the roads.  Your go bag should contain emergency supplies of food and water, warm clothes such as wool jumpers, hats, scarves, gloves, thick coat, boots and over-trousers.  Maybe a sleeping bag too.  A way of heating hot water is good, as a hot drink can be a life saver, but make sure you have ventilation into the vehicle when you are using it.  Don't forget too to carry a shovel and a couple of hessian sacks for when you lose grip, and a tow rope.

It sounds a lot if you're just popping down to the shops, but you can get stuck close to home but have no way to get back.

Having lost a brother in law in the snow some years ago, and knowing he would have survived had he taken these simple measures, this is something close to our hearts.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 07:09:25 pm »
Well i managed to get out today. Our farm road is thick ice, also the side road down to the main Banff Fraserburgh. it was clear. I put my Duster in 4 wheel drive and it coped fine. So, trip to the Bank, Chemist and more animal feed. Plus I treated myself to my lunch which is quite rare for me. Always in a hurry. Posted away my last Christmas parcels. That's me for a week. No need to go anywhere. Very cold this evening and looks the same tomorrow.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 12:28:17 pm »
Snow has mostly melted here but has exposed the original black ice underneath.  The meltwaters washed away the salt I'd put down.  I crawled across the yard to feed the pigs this morning!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 12:05:08 am »
It's almost gone here. I managed to get to my evening class on Thursday night but OH had to help me across the impacted snow as my sticks were sliding all over the place. He then had to come out and help me back in from the car.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 12:54:56 am »
Took one of my goats to a male today, he said normal access was dangerous, so came up a lane to the bottom of his land, we unloaded her from my van, into his 4x4,  up to the yard, lucky I suggested putting a ((solid) pallet down, for her to jump down onto, as she stepped off that, she nearly went down, then he brought the male up, as it ran through the yard its feet went from underneath  it, still managed the job though.  ;D  (in an ice free area)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS