Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tractor guide  (Read 1950 times)

pointer

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Hebrides
tractor guide
« on: December 09, 2017, 03:39:29 pm »
Any suggestions for a good general tractor manual / maintenance guide? A book along the lines of Idiots Guide, not geared at the professional mechanic. thanks

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: tractor guide
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 05:31:10 pm »
Google your make and model and there's bound to be a forum somewhere with all useful info, and then some. :sunshine:

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

pointer

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Hebrides
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 05:46:18 pm »
Thanks, yes I've found some bits and pieces online. I'm more looking for a general introduction to how tractors work, care and maintenance. Book preferred to online as it's for a gift.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 07:02:32 pm »
I was gifted "Maintaining Small-Farm Equipment" by S&A Larkin Hansen ('Storey Basics Series' of books).  Not impressed & it actually annoyed me:  it's padded out with superfluous sub-idiot advice.  For example:

"Springs.  Springs hold parts together in a number of ways ......"
"Wheels & shafts.  Wheels come in all shapes and sizes ....."
"Bearings & Bushings.  When metal moves against metal, it binds and grinds ....."

Very annoying:  its 108 pages could probably be condensed down to a very thin pamphlet of useful tips.  If you should come across it in your searches, I would recommend you continue searching!

[Edit] After-thought: a combination of the tractor's manual, youtube and asking questions on TAS (other forums available) probably the best option - which, pointer, means you might need to think of some other gift option!  :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:27:59 pm by arobwk »

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 08:27:52 pm »
Look for whats being exported - buy them.

You need at times to start your tractor with jump leads and a nail.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS