Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Straw  (Read 5203 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Straw
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 11:21:01 am »
Thanks Sallyintnorth: I will keep your kind offer in mind for the future as wool can also be composted of course.  In meantime, I have actually acquired 2 spoiled silage bales which was saving for mulching, but as suggested by bj-cardiff I might as well use them - it'll all go the same way in the end. 
Not sure, landoverroy, that I'd want to be forking out £100+ per cu.m on ready made compost - budget is tight enough as it is.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 05:35:37 pm »
Any time, [member=152775]arobwk[/member] :).

I think I might do a small trial with your spoiled silage - from feeding silage in the field, my experience is that silage exudate is toxic to all life forms, leaving dead rings in fields where no grass or other green plant grows for many years :(.   Not to mention that if the grass had been Grazon-ed, everything bar grasses would be killed by it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 06:03:22 pm »
Thanks kindly for the warning Sallyintnorth.  The two spoiled silage bales I have are well past their sell-by date and I also opened them up on receipt to make sure nature takes its course.  I think they will be pretty much "neutralised" by time I use them for other means.  Again, thanks for the thought though  :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 05:18:52 pm »
Our forester mentioned a couple of weeks ago that there's a UK-wide shortage of straw this year, due to poor crops.  Our local large-scale straw merchant is advertising for more as he can't fulfill demand from Scotland and the South.  (Cue me nipping off to our local supplier for two trailer-loads, just-in-case.)

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS