NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Best size of willow cuttings to plant?  (Read 498 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Best size of willow cuttings to plant?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 12:46:32 pm »
We are at 1,000' and grow nearly all types of willow, except some of the really delicate ones.

Thanksfor the great tips. Can you advise which varieties to recommend for firewood logs?

Dav275

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • www.woodwallart.co.uk
    • WoodWallArt
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 01:31:10 pm »
Thanks doganjo.     Appreciate it.  PM sent.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Wester Gladstone Hebridean Sheep
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 04:30:47 pm »
We are at 1,000' and grow nearly all types of willow, except some of the really delicate ones.

Thanksfor the great tips. Can you advise which varieties to recommend for firewood logs?

When we got our first cuttings they were from my Dad's collection.  He wasn't embarrassed at all to filch cuttings from anywhere and everywhere, including places he shouldn't have done, where the varieties were printed on the tree labels!  I can say that now as my Dad is long gone.  I brought back 60 different varieties from the farm, all neatly labelled, stuck them in a 'v' slit trench and left them to grow.  A couple of years later, Mr F came along to plant them out, didn't notice the labels so they were lost.  So, I don't have a clue what they're called.   if you can cover postage I could take some 3' cuttings from the sturdiest trees, the ones we use for firewood, then you could increase your stock by taking your own cuttings the following year.
Because willow grows fast, the wood burns quickly, but's great for getting the fire going, and brightening up the flame from harder woods (don't use Lawson Cypress - it burns black)
www.scothebs.co.uk

'A lawsuit is a machine where you go in as a pig and come out as sausages'

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 07:38:46 pm »
AlanG / Dav275 if either of you don't have any success with the willow you've already been offered, I have a white willow in my garden that I could take some cuttings from that might be worth a try.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 07:45:21 pm »
I have just pm'd Fleecewife about her kind offer. Thank you for your offer to Glencairn
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:50:08 pm by alang »

Dav275

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • www.woodwallart.co.uk
    • WoodWallArt
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 08:01:54 pm »
Thanks Glencairn.     Very generous.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 11:39:23 pm »
Buy the 1 foot cuttings . plant them through a sheet of weighted down thick cardboard to supress the weeds.
 Take some cuttings off these original saplings  to make the next years cuttings as it will help the original saplings develop good roots .  If you have the land ensure you can get a tractor & trailer down between the rows for harvesting time .

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 11:42:18 pm »
I planted about 60 whips in a boggy area hoping it would help to dry it out and feed the goats. However, it seems that deer like them as well.  I have 2 left

Hares love to eat them as well   chomped off at 4 inch above the ground spiral tree guards help for the hares but you'll need something more substantial for deer .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Alder cuttings

Started by James1

Replies: 3
Views: 809
Last post March 08, 2016, 06:53:59 am
by James1
Coppiced Willow

Started by oldwolf

Replies: 2
Views: 808
Last post December 14, 2015, 01:56:54 pm
by chrismahon
Planting willow for logs

Started by Stereo

Replies: 16
Views: 4780
Last post December 13, 2013, 02:03:33 pm
by Stereo
Planting willow for logs pt 2

Started by nuteski

Replies: 25
Views: 6362
Last post June 07, 2017, 12:17:29 pm
by cloddopper
What size solar panel do I need?

Started by Mel

Replies: 3
Views: 3276
Last post September 01, 2011, 06:40:59 pm
by mab

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Assist Animal Care Services Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2017. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS