Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horse passports again  (Read 2551 times)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Horse passports again
« on: January 29, 2018, 06:16:56 pm »
Had a visit from Trading Standards essentially about our livestock but they touched on horse passports although didn't ask to see them. I have mine on site, but not those of the couple of liveries. I know they are supposed to be 'with the horse' but how 'with the horse ' is that?  The owners only live 1/2 mile a way. Should I keep copies on site.  What do other livery yards do?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Horse passports again
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 08:17:06 pm »
If the owners will not let you keep the passports on the yard the best you can do is photocopy the horse id pages and the section that shows if it has been excluded from the food chain or otherwise.  If excluded you should not have any problems but if it can still go into the food chain then there might be a jobsworth who insists the yard should have the passport so that any medications can get recorded by the vet.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 08:22:19 pm »
Yep, photocopies.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 09:21:40 pm »
Cheers, photocopies it is then. Always struck me as a very poor bit of legislation. You don't want the passport in the stable in case it gets nicked.  You don't want it in your house if the owner wants to leave for an event at 5 am, you don't want it at their house if the inspecto shows up. Ho hum.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:50:50 pm »
Cheers, photocopies it is then. Always struck me as a very poor bit of legislation. You don't want the passport in the stable in case it gets nicked.  You don't want it in your house if the owner wants to leave for an event at 5 am, you don't want it at their house if the inspecto shows up. Ho hum.

I agree it's a pretty poor piece of legislation and not easily enforceable. Trading standards have admitted they have better things to do than to check them; vets have said they are not paid to enforce them and my vets have never asked to see them, no matter what drugs they have administered. Equines can be sold privately or entered for sale at markets with any old passport that vaguely fits the description because microchips are rarely checked. And some people still don't know or care anyway. So all in all it seems pretty pointless. :thinking: [size=78%] [/size]
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS