Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: living willow arbour  (Read 4262 times)

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
living willow arbour
« on: July 31, 2010, 01:01:49 pm »
Hi,
Has anyone ever made a living willow arbour for their garden?

It's something I'm thinking of doing this autumn. We have some decking that is bordered by beds/wildflower area and I'm thinking of positioning the arbour so you could sit under it on the decking. I've got a very basic book which has a lot of pictures and makes it look very straightforward but just wondered if anyone had any practical experience or advice on the best place to get the willow from (we're in SE London so Kent is our nearest countryside).

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: living willow arbour
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 01:42:25 pm »
My friend next door made a tree house for the children in willow - they just used cuttings from the willow growing along the bank of the stream that we had in the village.  If you need iot fast you can buy willow online, but otherwise short sticks will grow very easily.  I got loads from HappyHippy for myself and my friend as we have wet gardens and they have nearly all taken and are growing well.  This website can send you teh cuttings and have pictures of an arbour - http://mammothwillow.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=43&osCsid=7a5521e8525fce9b50f01bc15076764f
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 01:45:57 pm »
I tried to do it (unfortunately my kids kept pulling up the willow  :()
I've got LOTS of willow  ;) I'll happilly post down some cuttings for you if you want them. I'd suggest getting them into pots somewhere to let the roots develop a bit then plant them next spring (this way if any don't take, you know before you start and don't have to worry about disturbing the others to plant new ones). It's worth saying though that you've got to think about the roots and how close to the house you plant them - you don't want to end up with structural problems  :o
If you'd like me to post some down just pm me your address and how many you want.
Karen

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 04:27:41 pm »
Thanks guys.
It's the opposite end of the garden from the house so should be ok.
Karen I'll do some calculations and be in touch.

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 05:21:38 pm »
Hmmm arbour or viking longship (see link) ?

http://www.windrushwillow.com/pages/living_viking.html

If I ask my other half I know what he'll choose. :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 06:51:20 pm »
Oooooooooo I LIKE that ! and so will my Dad ( the resident 'tree hugger' ) might have to have a go at one of them !  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 08:22:21 pm »
Oooooooooo I LIKE that ! and so will my Dad ( the resident 'tree hugger' ) might have to have a go at one of them !  ;D

We loved the one Carol made for the girls - we all used to go down to their garden and have picnics in it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS