Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How am I going to eat my pigs?!!  (Read 2821 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
How am I going to eat my pigs?!!
« on: July 20, 2010, 09:50:15 am »

I love them already! Luckily our young female is here to stay so she has been named Daisy and I am free to love her as much as I like!  ;D :D

After a few zaps from the fencer they have all stayed put with only daisy escaping on her first day and then running straight back into the paddock (therefore getting zapped again!)

I'm enjoying taking them tit bits and am making my OH do a "pig pig piggies" call at feed time! They have been here a week and will already stand to be scratched.

They're not bothered about the wallow I made Rob create for them, in fact they tend to stay in the arc when it's raining! Whern it's dry they play A LOT chasing each other through the nettles! The dogs have unfortunately learnt the hard way that that the pigs are for us to eat, not for them!

They LOVE strawberries and carrots but unfortunately love my jeans too! I still need to work out how to get pictures on here so I can show them off! ;D :pig:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: How am I going to eat my pigs?!!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:44:27 am »
I wish you luck and fortitude on the day - I couldn't do it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:49:29 am »
Pigs are the BEST fun to rear but by the time they get to 5 months old, are knocking you flying everytime you go anywhere near with a bucket.......you'll be looking forward to 'eating' them  ;)

You WILL do it cos the nearer the time comes, the more you'll be looking forward to your first home reared pork.... and once you've seen it butchered and has your own Herd Mark imprinted on it..you will be SO PROUD of your achievement.   AND then of course the best bit - the TASTE  ;D ;) ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 10:50:30 am »
As they grow watch the hams develop, imagine how many chops etc etc! You can love and play with them, just dont lose sight as to why you have them, the first time is daunting, but once you get all that fantastic pork back, you will be satisfied at what a great upbringing you gave them. :pig:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 12:26:27 pm »
Blinkers - your post has resonance with me!  I have to tease my pigs with a handful of feed and then run like crazy to their proper feeder to add the rest and they chase me! LOL.  As it's so hot I have been wearing shorts and sandals, but after the pigs treading on my open to the air toes - I have gone back to wellies and the bit between my wellies and shorts gets covered in mud/pig spit/snot and I always have to have a shower afterwards!  Can't wiat for my pork chops - I have eaten all my last lot!   ;)

Still love my pigs though.  :pig:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 12:34:01 pm »
I like pigs, and spend ages scratching my neighbours two friendly pigs.  Used to always keep pigs here in my little old fashioned pig sty, and yes, the pork was lovely. But gone soft in my old age, and cannot rear them to kill, well yes, I can, but not to eat myself.  I would be ok selling them to someone else to eat!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 05:30:42 pm »
1.  When you take them to the abattoir remember they have had the best life ever.  If you didnt raise your own would the pork you eat have been as cared for and loved as yours have been?

2.  Once these have gone, and once they get to the size to go they can be rumbustious, you can have some more little ones and start all over again.

;D ;D

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 05:38:22 pm »
How are you going to eat them ?............................. grilled, pan fried or roasted with apple sauce??  ;D

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 06:38:47 pm »
knife and fork works quite well !!!! :pig:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 06:46:20 pm »
Read 'a dissertation upon roast pig' - http://www.angelfire.com/nv/mf/elia1/pig.htm

We read it at school. Wonderful story.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS