Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to leave lambs out for there first night  (Read 11118 times)

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
Re: When to leave lambs out for there first night
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 03:17:37 am »
If you cant get anyone to show you how to do those things then do what I did, look on youtube.  ;D

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: When to leave lambs out for there first night
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 10:13:25 am »
Get good advice from a sheep farmer or experienced sheep owner than basically get stuck in. I haven't kept sheep since I was small but with a little guidance a good dash of reading I just get stuck in and have dealt with vaccinations, hoof trimming, fly strike, lambing and now thanks to a friends husband I have even sheared. I only use the vet for advice if things are beyond normal husbandry or I need antibiotics and even then they will do the consult over the phone and prescribe on this.
As for lambs being out alone my orphan lambs were only a few days old when I got them and within a week I had them in the home paddock which I can see from the kitchen, I built a small shelter from pallets with a roof on and they have lived quite happily there until there move into the larger field with the older sheep.
This home paddock with shelter is also really useful for ill sheep or recovering sheep as they are not bothered by the rest of the flock, I have also utilised it for mums and lambs to bond without the older ewes interfering. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS