Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Playful Bullock  (Read 1829 times)

JerseyTaurie

• Joined Nov 2017
Playful Bullock
« on: November 10, 2017, 05:11:03 pm »
Hi

I have a 2yr old Jersey cross simmy bullock (along with a beltie cross heifer). He is a docile boy, however, of late he gets really playful whenever I'm doing something he finds exciting (mainly food related stuff, especially if it involves apples). I'm not sure if he's just pushing boundaries now he's that bit older or if it's something else.
Obviously he's of a hefty boy and having him leaping and bucking around me is not ideal, and I don't want to reward his behaviour inadvertently.
He is used to clicker and target training so if anyone has a solution to calm him down using these methods that would be much appreciated.
Also, please please, he is a much loved pet, so suggestions along the lines of sending him off are really not helpful in this context.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Playful Bullock
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 10:33:04 am »
Bullocks are boisterous. So long as he has another bovine to play with and take most of his energy, then that's probably the best you can do. You could take a stick with you to deflect him, which hopefully should establish you as the boss. Cattle have a strict dominance order so that might be the way ahead. And I'm not suggesting you beat him over the head with it! But it would give you the confidence to stand your ground and get him to move to one side when he comes bouncing at you, instead of you having to give way and establishing yourself in his mind as an inferior being and plaything!
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Playful Bullock
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 12:49:42 pm »
Techniques I use as a matter of course on our young stock include :

• pushing or barging is always reprimanded.  A stern, “Steady!” is usually sufficient.
  • Never pet the front of their face. Pet / scratch under the chin, behind the ears, etc, but never the front of the face. If petting a particular place on a particular animal always makes it head shakes / bargey, don’t pet that animal there
  • Never pet at all unless they are standing calmly and not pushing. If petting and they start to push, head shake or anything, stop petting immediately. Resume only when they are again still and calm.

They like attention, so in general, this suffices.  With any particularly boisterous ones, I use the lid of a lick bucket as you would a pig board - just to shield them from whatever is exciting, and / or from you.

I imagine you’d be able to adapt my methods to clicker; click when calm and quiet.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS