Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: DIY Internal partitions for goats  (Read 2768 times)

Christian

• Joined Jun 2012
DIY Internal partitions for goats
« on: October 31, 2017, 09:31:03 pm »
Hello,
We are about to move our goats into an old shed with a spanking new concrete floor. The shed is about 5*13m and my plan right now is to have a 2m wide alley along one side and separate the other 3*15m into two pens for the goats (one pen for the billy and the other for the girls). What I'm not sure about is how to build the internal partitions (between girls and billy and between goats and alley). Horizontal 2 by 2s spaced something like 30cm appart (less spacing between the lower beams)? Fixed to posts spaced about 2m appart? Is that doomed?

Thanks for advice, all the very best

Christian & Nikki
Desperate Smallholders

P.S sorry for going metric, can't be bothered with feet and inches....
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 09:37:39 pm by Christian »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: DIY Internal partitions for goats
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 07:44:13 am »
Why not hang gates so you can have two pens or one pen.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 10:25:03 pm »
WE Built ours with concrete blocks, may be expensive on that scale, but its good and solid.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 09:50:17 am »
Concrete blocks and wood partitions are permanent. Gated pens give you flexibility which can be really useful when space is tight or you want to use it for different things at different times.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 11:22:44 am »
You could have a permanent block wall and set fitting in to add temporary dividers and gates?

Christian

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 06:57:15 pm »
Hi folks,

yes, I think some kind of a mix between concrete blocks and wood would probably be better than using only wood  - and then keep some additional temporary gates for things like one or two kidding pens. I like the look of metal partitions (for the boy...) but I think that'll break the bank.

Thanks for help!

Christian

Desperate Smallholders on the move...

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 01:43:46 pm »
Pallets can be your friend - you can incorporate feeding and watering areas as buttresses. The hieght you will need will depend on how high your goats can jump ;)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 09:18:00 pm »
Our goathouse is all wood... including the partitions between pens. All screwed rather than nailed. Watch for distances between planks - kids can easily get their heads stuck, especially if you don't disbud.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS