Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Liver fluke in sheep  (Read 9738 times)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Liver fluke in sheep
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 06:21:11 pm »
Good luck picking up your 10 month old  Ryelands!  My adult Ryelands weight between 58 and 63Kg. At 10 months they are typically 40 to 50Kg.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 07:23:34 pm »
Hi, I have just treated a ram lamb for fluke (with combinex). He has stopped scouring but is still very weak 4 days later. He hangs back at feeds and never goes to the lick. Is there anything I can give, such as a tonic, or is there something else I should try.

Cheers
Time and patience ,recovery will take weeks even months .  Warm and dry  and the best of feed  , if  hard feed then little and often , ivy , molasses ,treacle, soaked beet pulp ,  combinex or injectable b12   

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 09:13:59 pm »
Time and patience ,recovery will take weeks even months .  Warm and dry  and the best of feed  , if  hard feed then little and often , ivy , molasses ,treacle, soaked beet pulp ,  combinex or injectable b12
[/quote]
Thanks, I had a gut feeling I was being impatient. He loves Ivy and we have still plenty so I'll try and tempt his jaded palate  :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 10:55:19 pm »
Unfortunately fluke has often caused irreversible damage by the time you see symptoms :(. You can give him a vitamin and mineral drench, it can’t hurt and may well help. Good luck. :fc:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 11:04:43 pm »
Unfortunately fluke has often caused irreversible damage by the time you see symptoms :(. You can give him a vitamin and mineral drench, it can’t hurt and may well help. Good luck. :fc:

That might well be the casea and a bit of minerals won't do him any harm

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 08:41:38 am »
One of my neighbours says when you treat a very heavy fluke burden the sheep needs antibiotics too because of the high number of dead fluke in them after dosing.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 12:53:01 pm »
Best not take advice from your neighbour then

messyhoose

• Joined Nov 2017
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 10:30:24 pm »
i just been treating a goat who went down at the weekend and after treating with the refridgerator approach finally repeated a dose of Flukicide which turned her around in 24 hours. As fluke affects the liver id recommend anything for your ram lamb that will help the liver heal- so the B vitamins, penicillin, anti inflammatories, and low protein feeds were all things I gave my goat and after 3 days from looking like death she seems to be returning to herself. Fluke is a terrible thing and winters are getting wetter and warmer I think It is going to be a problem for many. I used Rycoben after changing from Combinex last year. Its a double sheep dose for goats. And will repeat monthly in order to kill juveniles, and eggs once they reach the killable adult stage.

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 12:02:19 pm »
Just an update. With time, crossed fingers and patience, he is back to his usual self. The combinex worked and the advice here was helpful - thanks :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 09:59:39 am »
I'm considering getting the lambs blood-tested next Summer.  As I understand it, BT's one older sheep may still show antibodies quite a while after exposure and successful dosing, whereas antibodies in naïve lambs indicate exposure to fluke and I'll at least know if there's a problem on my land or not, bearing in mind it can be carried by wild mammals.

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 07:47:10 pm »
When I needed to work out doses from my goats I used this app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=goatweightcalc.sorb&hl=en

It does sheep and goats and the answer I got seemed pretty accurate in my, and the vets estimation.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 08:07:44 pm »
Yep you've understood that right [member=27063]Marches Farmer[/member] The thing it won't tell you though is if there is a heavy burden or a mild one.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 09:07:04 pm »
Any kind of burden will have me reaching for the flukicide .....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS