Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: flying today ?  (Read 2352 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
flying today ?
« on: November 09, 2017, 12:37:14 pm »
It's 15oC  here in south wales the sun is shining . I was surprised to see bees & bumble bees flying . As I walked down the garden to the big oak I noriced that the hazel nuts are covered in inch long light green catkins ... they weren't there three days ago .  The fig tree by our doctors surgery is also covered in flowers

Has anyone else noticed  new growth etc, on anything besides the weeds ?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:31:35 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: flying today ?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 04:22:45 pm »
It's sunny here but cold with a wind like a sword - cuts right through you.  Scottish bees are very sensibly hibernating and have been for a while.  Plants are being sensible too - still some late summer flowers hanging on, but anything tender is black and shriveled from the frosts we've had.  It will be a few months yet before we see catkins, and many more before we can make some Vit D  :sunshine: :cold:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 04:28:31 pm »
Wild strawberries in the hedgerow are flowering here
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 10:42:53 am »
My Cambridge favourites strawberry's haven't stopped producing as yet neither have my late sown broad beans .

All the 10 or so Fushia are still in strong flower the geraniums havn't yet succumbed to the cold nights .

Normally by now the queen has stopped laying .

Anyone brave enough to have a peep the next dry , still day when it's over 10 oC might let us all know the state of egg production ... I suspect the queen is still laying for most of us in the southern part of the UK ( below Worcester ) so there will be big in roads made in to the over winter stores .

It might be sensible to make up your own preservative free fondant patty's & slip one 6 inch dia one across the middle of the frames . Don't worry about water ther's plenty around for the bees .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS