Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bird food for pigs?  (Read 4345 times)

Crofterman

• Joined Oct 2017
Bird food for pigs?
« on: October 11, 2017, 08:00:12 pm »
Hello all.  :wave: I'm raising two weaners for the first time. They are doing fine at 11 weeks. I would like to give them a few treats they can root around for but it's difficult due to the restrictions. I was in Wilko home store yesterday and in the Bird Food section they had cheap peanuts, sunflower seeds and mixed seeds, all in polythene bags. I imagined chucking a handful of peanuts into their outdoor pen and letting them sniff around and find them.  Wilko doesn't sell meat (or that store doesn't) except in pet food. Before going ahead I wondered if forum members thought that was a good idea or are there problems I haven't thought of? Tried Googling but it's not the kind of thing that lends itself to a search! Thanks in advance! :fc:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:23:29 pm by Crofterman »

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Bird food for pigs?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 07:42:38 pm »
Hello all.  :wave: I'm raising two weaners for the first time. They are doing fine at 11 weeks. I would like to give them a few treats they can root around for but it's difficult due to the restrictions. I was in Wilko home store yesterday and in the Bird Food section they had cheap peanuts, sunflower seeds and mixed seeds, all in polythene bags. I imagined chucking a handful of peanuts into their outdoor pen and letting them sniff around and find them.  Wilko doesn't sell meat (or that store doesn't) except in pet food. Before going ahead I wondered if forum members thought that was a good idea or are there problems I haven't thought of? Tried Googling but it's not the kind of thing that lends itself to a search! Thanks in advance! :fc:

what's the issue with them not selling meat?
I'm sure the bird food would be fine, it's nuts and seeds afterall.
You could always dice up some veg (obviously not in your kitchen)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 10:39:58 am »
One of the best treats for pigs at this time of year is windfall apples and pears. Pigs love them and have great fun chasing after them if you lob them into their pen one at a time.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 01:05:12 pm »
just been out collecting  windfalls this morning , I fear plenty more to come after the stiff breeze we are expecting

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 04:48:02 pm »
This time of the year there are plenty of treats in the ground without adding them, from above and below. Windfalls are always welcome. I would save your money for now.

Crofterman

• Joined Oct 2017
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 10:58:53 pm »

Regarding them not selling meat:
DEFRA’s New Pig Keeper Guide says ‘It is permissible to source certain types of former foodstuffs (see above), as well as fruit and vegetables, from non-catering premises for feeding to pigs, but this must only be done from those premises that either do not handle materials banned from being fed to pigs, or that have (HACCP) procedures in place to ensure complete separation from prohibited materials, and these procedures have been agreed with the local authority’
Mind you, I just saw a YouTube video of someone in the UK preparing two jam rolls in the kitchen to use to administer deworming powder. Surely that’s against the rules!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 06:16:49 pm »
Yup, anything in or from a domestic or commercial kitchen is not on.  F&M in 2001 may be outside some folks experience, but not around here!

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 08:56:55 pm »

DEFRA’s New Pig Keeper Guide says ‘It is permissible to source certain types of former foodstuffs (see above), as well as fruit and vegetables, from non-catering premises for feeding to pigs, but this must only be done from those premises that either do not handle materials banned from being fed to pigs, or that have (HACCP) procedures in place to ensure complete separation from prohibited materials, and these procedures have been agreed with the local authority’
Mind you, I just saw a YouTube video of someone in the UK preparing two jam rolls in the kitchen to use to administer deworming powder. Surely that’s against the rules!

i'm well aware of the rules, but supermarkets don't regularly wipe sliced ham on their bird seed

Crofterman

• Joined Oct 2017
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 03:56:44 pm »

i'm well aware of the rules, but supermarkets don't regularly wipe sliced ham on their bird seed
So you think it’s ok to buy food for pigs from a supermarket?

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 08:56:48 pm »
Yes, i feed waste veg and bread from supermarkets. If they are contaminated, we've got bigger problems.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS