Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: On farm slaughtering?  (Read 4496 times)

Kienstra

• Joined Sep 2017
On farm slaughtering?
« on: October 20, 2017, 02:01:32 pm »
Hi there, we have a local friend who is licensed to slaughter on farm. As far as I am aware we are allowed to consume produce from this method but not sell it.

Does anyone have any insight or ways round? It is much less stressful all round if we don’t have to use abattoir but we have 10 weaners so definitely looking to sell some of the pork!

TIA

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: On farm slaughtering?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 02:02:48 pm »
I don't think there is a way round it and the rules are there for a reason
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Jimmy 84

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 02:31:49 pm »
I onfarm slaughter all my wild boar as the abattoir won’t take them alive however, most normal pig breeds should be fine in a good abattoir. Ask to go and have a look round first before you send them in.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 02:59:45 pm »
You are allowed to slaughter your own animals on your own land for you own consumption. Not allowed to sell or give it to anyone, not even family or friends. Only you are allowed to do it, can't get someone else to do it on your land.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/slaughter-poultry-livestock-and-rabbits-for-home-consumption

So if your friend would do it himself on his land he would not be allowed to give the meat to you. That's what it says on government website
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 03:21:04 pm »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 09:49:57 pm »
You can only home slaughter for yourself and immediate family. There are licenced, mobile slaughter units in some parts of the country. You can not legally use an itinerant slaughter man.

10 weaners is going to be a lot of pork. Say you keep two you need at least another 8 people to take a whole pig but in reality no-one takes whole pigs. You might be lucky and get 16 to take a half. In reality people want a bit of this and a bit of that. You need to know before your pigs are ready that you have customers and then you will be lucky if someone doesn't let you down. Have you priced up finishing a pig and then done a costing for your pork?

So, you decide to home slaughter two for yourself because those you are selling will have to go to the abattoir. Have you got somewhere to stun, bleed and hang. Have you dehaired a pig with a sharp knife and scalding water? Have you somewhere to cut up and process? And do you know how you are going to dispose of the waste products?

All sounds more stressful to me than a trip to the abattoir where a vet will look at your meat and tell you it is fit to eat. Not the slaughter man.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 09:34:41 am »
More stressful for us maybe but not for the animals. It’s a great shame that mobile slaughter units are not more widespread for those that would prefer a less stressful end to their animal’s lives.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 11:26:54 am »
I very often take my pigs the night before and they stay in the lairage overnight. They walk off the trailer without any help, are no bother to pen and are quite happy when I leave them.When animals are slaughtered when they are stressed the meat doesn't set properly. I have never had that over many years.

Have you been to an abattoir on killing day?

There is an abattoir guide on here at the top of the pig page.

I know there are bad ones but the vast majority are absolutely fine. Most already have cameras and soon they will all have to have them. There are vets present throughout the process. And I know there are bad vets too but if people were complaining about the quality of their meat it would hardly be in the interest of their business.

Most animals who are stressed at the abattoir have been badly loaded, badly travelled and badly unloaded. That is down to the owner.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 12:05:33 pm »
10 finished pigs is indeed a lot of pork.  Might be worth considering taking some to your local livestock market.  Auction prices have risen considerably in recent months.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 05:12:56 pm »
As far as I know there are no mobile slaughter units, its been talked about but you need a vet, refrigeration and waste unit. Probably not be cost effective and as I am aware no one has been granted a licence.

Then you'd need a licensed cutting room and walk in fridge.  There are no ways around this otherwise most of us would be doing it.

agree 10 weaners is going to cost you significantly in feed over 5-6 months up to £100ea.  I would be very careful taking on this many from experience shifting half a pig is extremely difficult and most people are priced out as they assume it will be buttons. Selling individually cuts will take some serious shifting too.  Id We usually work on 3 pigs. 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 06:03:01 pm »
You could well be correct that there aren't any mobile units operating farmers wife. Maybe I have just read about plans for them.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 03:30:58 pm »
Im sure Im correct, the idea may be more american perhaps but with the rules on having a vet present, refrigeration and a bin to take away waste you would need some lorry with height to winch up to lift a cow. The idea is good but the logistics and costs just wouldnt work.  Another option could be to have a small animal yard open once a week but again you would need to take in some animals to cover the labour and the general staffing.  Imagine the waste products, then the testing of offal and skins. 

This is the reason why only big yards exist because they can do it all while keeping the hygiene and standards.

3county farm boy

• Joined Jan 2017
  • Love my family animals and life's sweet
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 08:24:59 pm »

This is the reason why only big yards exist because they can do it all while keeping the hygiene and standards.
[/quote]

Hygiene standards wouldn't be an issue in mobile slaughtering, the costs would be, the FSA charge an absolute fortune to slaughter houses for vets to check meat a large abattoir could absorb those costs through the large numbers of animals, a mobile slaughter unit would struggle if he has to pay a vet and turn up and do one pig for example
Everyday is a day to wake up for

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS