Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hard standing area  (Read 2538 times)

Jimmy 84

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Suffolk
Hard standing area
« on: October 20, 2017, 10:30:46 am »
Hello everyone,

I’m looking to create a large hard standing area to feed my boar on in the winter as numbers have out grown my current concrete areas. I will be scatter feeding sow rolls in this area and allow the boar to clear them up before returning them to thier paddock for the rest of the day.

My question is what would be the best Aggrigates to use, I was undecided between Type1 granite or crushed limestone.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Jim

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Hard standing area
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 11:59:52 am »
I would be cautious about any type of aggregate or crushed stone as a greedy pig would be likely to hoover everything up and damage its teeth and/or swallow it.   Old stone patio slabs laid without gaps might do, although the pigs might turn them over looking for more grub.  Concrete is guaranteed to work.

Jimmy 84

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 01:40:01 pm »
Long term it will all be concrete but as it’s quite a large area which will be holding 30 + feeding boar slabs are not practical.

I should add that they are never left on this area for any amount of time. They are let in fed and put back out again.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 05:45:24 pm »
I find it quite amazing how, on the whole, adept most animals are, at not eating/swallowing anything but food and spitting out the other stuff.  I've seen horses, pigs and sheep cleverly spit out stones etc. Being realistic they are bound to pick up "other stuff" in less clinical surroundings like fields.

I would say your biggest problem would be that pigs will dig for that morsel that escaped them and make a right mess of any area that is not solid, especially if it then gets wet and puddles. Road plannings are very good as they bond together.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 08:44:41 pm »
I find it quite amazing how, on the whole, adept most animals are, at not eating/swallowing anything but food and spitting out the other stuff.  I've seen horses, pigs and sheep cleverly spit out stones etc. Being realistic they are bound to pick up "other stuff" in less clinical surroundings like fields.

I would say your biggest problem would be that pigs will dig for that morsel that escaped them and make a right mess of any area that is not solid, especially if it then gets wet and puddles. Road plannings are very good as they bond together.

sometimes you can see their tongue flick in and out, quite accurate and careful really

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS