Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What Does Your Butcher Charge?  (Read 4173 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
What Does Your Butcher Charge?
« on: September 27, 2017, 02:00:40 pm »
The abattoir/butcher we normally use has changed hands so we're taking the opportunity to look around at alternatives.  We generally pay an amount which covers slaughter, hanging, boned and rolled leg joints and the rest into sausages.   We have a couple of local butchers that appear willing to butcher delivered carcases but haven't done this particular service before and are floundering over what to charge.  Any guidance gratefully received.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: What Does Your Butcher Charge?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 02:13:16 pm »
Just picked up  my pile of butcher bills
45p/kg to cut and prep a pig
sausages 1.15-1.25£/lb to make and tray for us
£5 to cure each loin, slice and vac pack charged later (don't have any that show it individually)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 02:26:30 pm by greenbeast »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 09:43:34 pm »
I have just paid £106.68 that was for kill, butchering and vac packing plus 19.4 kilos of sausages.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 07:06:11 am »
I've just had three pigs back. They were killed and cut. Hind legs cut into three, chops (one was boned for bacon), belly taken off the bone, shoulder boned and rolled.

89kilo = 66.00
74kilo = 58.50
71.6kilo = 57.30

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:50:29 am »
Kill and cut £30
Sausages .50p/Lb
Bacon cure £4/side

Bagging and labelling extra but I never have done as pig joints obvious.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 09:38:20 am »
Kill and cut £30
Sausages .50p/Lb
Bacon cure £4/side

Wow so your sausages are half the price of ours!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 08:43:12 pm »
Kill and cut £30
Sausages .50p/Lb
Bacon cure £4/side

Wow so your sausages are half the price of ours!

They are the thick type, thin ones are more but not sure how much, they also come in a big bag so we cut and bag ourselves. 

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 09:31:13 pm »
Ok, ours are thick (chipolatas are more still) but they tray and over wrap them for us. Which I guess adds quite a bit to the labour element

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 10:33:42 am »
In SW Scotland here. 4 pigs killed out at 70.9 kg  76.8kg, 88kg and 95kg - abattoir charged £40 per pig, just over £1 each for the QMS pig levy and £133 + VAT for haulage to our local butcher (90 miles). Butcher charged £45 per pig and for that we got every joint boned and rolled, chops from 3 pigs and bacon sides from the other 3 (to be cured and sliced at home), plus £60 kg of sausages. That seems a good price compared to some however both the abattoir and the butchers increased their prices 50% over last years....

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 03:40:24 pm »
In SW Scotland here. 4 pigs killed out at 70.9 kg  76.8kg, 88kg and 95kg - abattoir charged £40 per pig, just over £1 each for the QMS pig levy and £133 + VAT for haulage to our local butcher (90 miles). Butcher charged £45 per pig and for that we got every joint boned and rolled, chops from 3 pigs and bacon sides from the other 3 (to be cured and sliced at home), plus £60 kg of sausages. That seems a good price compared to some however both the abattoir and the butchers increased their prices 50% over last years....

Seems a lot for haulage - we just booked ours in and the abattoir will deliver for £5 per pig plus VAT. Its about 80 miles and they have a load of carcasses to deliver near us so I guess that's the saving ?

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 07:27:33 pm »

Seems a lot for haulage - we just booked ours in and the abattoir will deliver for £5 per pig plus VAT. Its about 80 miles and they have a load of carcasses to deliver near us so I guess that's the saving ?

They charge 35p per kg and that is as a part load in a delivery of carcasses to our butcher - it would have been worth the £30 in diesel for me to have collected them myself but not sure if the butcher would have accepted them to go into his chiller as my vehicle is not temperature controlled and I don't know what regs he has to work within as far as that is concerned

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS