Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs, eating apples  (Read 6071 times)

rhinorhino

• Joined May 2017
Pigs, eating apples
« on: October 19, 2017, 11:46:13 am »
Newbie pig guy here, so we got three kunekunes, (and we're not keeping them on the riding arena lol)
Our neighbour has an orchard with a plentiful supply of windfall apples.
I can't find out if there is such a thing as too much apples for them? Theyre grazing in the paddocks and we have pellets too.
So the question is can they eat too many apples?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Pigs, eating apples
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 01:11:26 pm »
I'm sure someone with more experience will reply. When I fed apples I fed about half a bucket at a time. When I had a glut of windfall apples that needed storing I froze them, then defrosted and boiled them to make a pulp and fed that. I'm sure I read somewhere that they can get drunk from fermented ones?

rhinorhino

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 02:24:58 pm »
Cheers, yeah I've read a few conflicting points of view but never got anything concrete.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 08:51:50 pm »
I've been feeding some of our windfalls , I dont think its a case of getting drunk but more of a "sugar high" , give 'em half a bucket of windfalls and 20 mins later they're running around like loons playing "kiss the mammoth" ( me ) , fetch and general high spirits and vocal expressions.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 01:29:33 pm »
My mature pigs are currently getting 6 apples or perry pears with each feed.  The growers and finishers get one each with each feed (cut up for the youngest ones so they don't choke).  Our cider-making neighbour gave us some pomace which we fed as soon as possible, before it began fermenting - 3 trowels full for each of the mature pigs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS