Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A small claim to big dreams  (Read 1882 times)

Arnie91

• Joined Oct 2017
A small claim to big dreams
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:35:35 pm »
Hey everyone,

I'm Arnie.

I've always wanted to move out into a greener space as I was born and grow up in inner city London.

I've just turned 26 and have had my eye on plots of land further west in the south east area of England, High Wycombe, Oxford, Windsor area. I run multiple businesses and plan on moving out of where I currently rent. There may be a patch of space in time where I need to be able to stay somewhere inbetween moving.

As such, I've been looking to purchase a few acres of land with the idea of placing something like a mobile caravan/home (something ecofriendly and modern) while I apply for planning permission on the same plot or another plot of land.

I'm completely new to researching this but will endevour to find out all the difficulties and options to end. Luckily, I have access to a surveyor and architects who will be able to assist me in having something more permanent up.

Any resources that I could read or advise would be welcome. I initially read that anything static is a big no with PP departments.
Setting up electric and water are significant costs but something I have in mind to do in the future if I can get permission for something permanent. If not I would be of the mind of running 100% on renewables and bringing in water to buried IBC tanks or something similar.

I've had woodland in mind as it's more private and less likely to get complaints from neighbours. This isn't a live of the land type of thing, I'd be happy to contribute to the local economy while making sure I can be as eco friendly as possible.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Re: A small claim to big dreams
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 11:16:45 am »
Hello Arnie
Welcome to the best site around and good luck with your venture  :wave: . I can't offer any relevant advice but I am sure someone who can will be along shortly.  :thumbsup:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 12:59:34 pm »
Without wishing to sound bleak Arnie (and probably failing!) - the internet in general is awash with people wanting to buy a piece of land and place an "unobtrusive/ecofriendly" dwelling on it. But practically - it is extremely difficult to achieve. The planning laws have been designed for the purpose of preventing just such random siting of unauthorised dwellings throughout our green and pleasant land. Cruel though it may sound - your dreams and good intentions can not be taken into account. :'( 

If you look at the section on this forum relating to planning you will get some idea of the hoops that people have had to jump through to lawfully get the most basic of buildings passed by the planning authorities.
I'm afraid it takes a hell of a lot more than just siting your caravan unobtrusively in a wood to reduce the chance of complaints, or promising to contribute  the local economy.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 11:32:18 am »
I had a planning issue and it ran on for +18months and it had repercussions on my plans and business.
Can be very expensive and time consuming

Good place to start is here
https://acp.planningportal.gov.uk/CaseSearch.aspx
Search through enforcement notices and planning/appeals will give you a good insight against what
you are up against

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 02:22:51 pm »
Hello and welcome!    :wave:

All the best to you with your dream! There are loopholes/clauses that I've read bits of here and there, but don't know details like others do. Isn't there something to do with animal readers needing to be onsite; if you're lambing or rearing pheasants, etc.

Otherwise, for your first 'get out of city' there are plenty of farms with an old workers caravan or portacabin somewhere which you could maybe live in for a bit? Maybe a camper van for a bit of flexibility? After that, seems to cost a fortune. All the best!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS