Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Renting Out Trailer  (Read 2500 times)

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
Renting Out Trailer
« on: October 06, 2017, 06:15:43 pm »
Anyone rent out their livestock trailer?

I bought a new Ifor Williams P6e last year for taking my goats to shows, to a stud and in case I need to take them to the vet.

Anyway, I keep seeing posts on various Facebook groups where people need a wee trailer for a one off collection of livestock or taking stock to market or abbatoir. My one is just sitting there under a stable lean to.

What do I need to consider? Insurance? Wear and tear? Theft? Licence plate? Biosecurity? Time and costs of cleaning?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Renting Out Trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 06:47:47 pm »
Many years ago I let a friend use my horse trailer to move house with.  It came back with duct tape on the padding and scratches all down the side.  Ever since then people can use my trailer as long as it is on my car, which is only insured for two drivers.  They can pay for my time and fuel as well, for some reason no one has wanted to borrow it since the rule changes.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 09:21:54 pm »
Many years ago I let a friend use my horse trailer to move house with.  It came back with duct tape on the padding and scratches all down the side.  Ever since then people can use my trailer as long as it is on my car, which is only insured for two drivers.  They can pay for my time and fuel as well, for some reason no one has wanted to borrow it since the rule changes.

I couldn't agree more. My family have several trailers of different types. Collectively, on lending to people for a single trip, they have come back with light lenses broken, jockey wheels completely knackered from being driven with the wheel still down and lighting cable damaged, to name but a few.  :rant:

You might think that people would be particularly careful because your trailer is new. You would very soon be disillusioned. Lending out a trailer is the fastest way there is to its destruction. :huff:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 02:06:04 pm »
Thanks both :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 08:42:31 am »
Yeah, it's probably best not to loan it out. You never know what people might do with it  ;) .

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:52:08 am »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :huff:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 04:05:09 pm »
Ditto above - Youd want to see that their vehicle insurance covers your box at yr value.  Trailers are strange things to cover for insurance.  Then you'd want to run around with a film confirming that everything is in perfect condition.  On arrival back repeat.  Start argument.  Get money out of people.  Get stressed.  Wish you'd never bothered.   Also this may be classed as business hire - unsure of what paperwork you need in the case of a law.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS