Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: beetroot booze?  (Read 4940 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
beetroot booze?
« on: October 17, 2017, 02:19:08 pm »
Hello, does Anyone have any tips about turning our veg into booze? We grow Beetroot, carrot, rhubarb. Lots of recipes online, but they just say 'yeast' and yeast supplement; aren't there different types of yeasts for brewing?

I have very little knowledge of brewing, used to help neighbours make scrumpy as a kid and made a good apple brew with a friend 10 years ago. We used champagne yeast for this, and it wasn't cider, more like sherry. But he did the maths on sugar, dates for racking, etc., so I have a basic understanding, but don't really know what I'm doing, how to achieve different strengths, clarity, flavour combinations, etc.

I'd like to develop a product or line of products for farmers markets, etc. Plan is to follow some different recipes and see what they all turn out like. If anyone can offer me any advice or tips, or direct me to some good sources of information I'd be very grateful, and maybe one day I can send you some finest Scottish Beetroot wine, fizz, liquor..?

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: beetroot booze?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 05:58:10 pm »
Try Fabulously Fruity Wines in North Lincolnshire

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 05:03:25 pm »
Unless you actually have tried and like 'country' wines, I wouldn't bother. I would eat, preserve, barter or sell the veg and brew beer ... I brew all grain beer and its good.
I've been down the wine route before with parsnip, plum and blackberry, only the latter was tolerable but on a par with the cheapest red plonk in the shops. I seriously think this stuff is from a bygone age before imported grape wine was a thing.
Anyways, if you really want to try, I would scour the charity shops for books then you'll just need some equipment.
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 05:03:55 pm »
The book Booze for Free is good BTW
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 06:38:06 pm »
Thanks guys  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS