Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling eggs through a shop  (Read 2684 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Selling eggs through a shop
« on: October 15, 2017, 09:10:18 pm »
I expect this has been discussed before but I can't find anything through searching the forum so apologies if it is a standard question.

We have been selling hen and duck eggs in very small numbers through a small local shop.  We were aware this arrangement was not fully legitimate but now the shop owner has had this pointed out to them by another local who sells at the gate!

I have been looking at the stuff on the APHA Website.  Has anyone done all the legal stuff to enable selling through a shop?  Is there any workaround?

Thank you

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Re: Selling eggs through a shop
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 08:33:42 pm »
3rd party eggs need to be stamped. You have to be registered with APHA and be inspected at home. Once passed you would get a number. You then can buy the inked stamp quite cheap.
Also label has to be correct with all contact details - Mixed eggs
Use by date

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/eggs-trade-regulations
There is a link where you call - its usually pretty disorganised and my experience is the WAG dept is in a mess.  The guy who came to me was brilliant and very switched on.  The inspection is very thorough and is more about the hens than the storage.

I dont do it as I sell organic and the profit mark up would push the eggs around £2.40 for 6 which is what Riverford sell theres for.  It would be ok I had a posh deli but around here its a no no.  You would also need to keep records of the eggs sold to the shop as part of the food chain.

I had my stamp as it gives my business a little more kudos plus if any food business did want to use organic eggs I could supply to them.  I only have a small flock but I find there is always someone wishing to trip you up so I wanted to be ahead of the game.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 08:37:19 pm by farmers wife »

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 08:40:09 pm »
Field Services Offices: WalesTo contact Field Services Offices in Wales:
Telephone: 0300 303 8268
Email: [/color]APHA.CymruWales@apha.gsi.gov.uk
Carmarthen

APHA Field Services
Ty Merlin
Heol Glasdwr
Parc Pensarn
Carmarthen
SA31 2NF
[/color][/font][/size]

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 08:41:58 pm »
3rd party eggs need to be stamped. You have to be registered with APHA and be inspected at home. Once passed you would get a number. You then can buy the inked stamp quite cheap.
Also label has to be correct with all contact details - Mixed eggs
Use by date

Thanks for all that.  I had now found out that information on the APHA website.  I was mainly curious about whether anyone had been through this process as a seller of very small numbers of eggs and if it had been very onerous.

I am also interested as to whether there are any alternative routes to selling in a shop that don't require this process.  For example, if the shop agreed to display the eggs on your behalf, rather than selling themselves.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 08:47:07 pm »

Telephone: 0300 303 8268

Yes - I have spoken to very nice receptionist three times this week with promises that an egg person would get back to me but that hasn't happened yet.  Probably not necessary as the process is clear.  I just wanted to know for sure there was no other way - which I guess there isn't!

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 08:55:16 pm »
I dont think so.  I only have less than 100 hens so small.  You cant get around it the shop is selling your produce at the end of the day and the consumer has a contract with the seller by handing over the cash - you cant be clever on this Im afraid if someone who put the money in a box in the shop would still go back to the shop if the eggs where off or poor quality. I sell direct by delivering it works for me. Other option is a honesty box but I wouldnt even consider this. 

The process was ok for me he didnt raise any issues but mine are pasture raised high welfare organic so pretty easy. You would need to check your selling price though as I would imagine you'd need to be insured as a producer, labels, date, stamps, transport and paper exercise - selling at £1 isnt going to cover yr costs.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 09:12:52 pm »
Just to say that the APHA egg man phoned me today.  He was very pleasant but just confirmed what I knew.  He said that he had in the past lobbied for an exemption for small people but to no avail.  According to him the only technical get around is if you own all the land up to where the shop is!  He said if we wanted to go ahead with registering as a producer and packer he would come and advise us.  He pointed out that while at present the whole process is free there is increasing pressure from above to make such things self-funding.

Would be interested to hear from anyone else, in addition to what has been said before in this thread, who has gone this route and in particular what practical arrangements (apart from stamping) do APHA and Environmental Heath require.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS